categories - Category Theory list
From: Alexander Gietelink Oldenziel <a.f.d.a.gietelinkoldenziel@gmail.com>
To: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
Cc: David Roberts <droberts.65537@gmail.com>,
	"categories@mta.ca list" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Topos objects
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 13:52:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Steve,

I believe David is indeed talking about elementary topoi internal to a
suitable bicategory.

Your remarks about the object classifier, exponentiable topoi [image:
S[\mathbb{O}], S[\mathbb{O}]^X] in [image: GTopos/S] are well-taken. I
believe it is sometimes preferred to say they are ' logos'  objects inside
the category of topoi, i.e. formal duals to topoi rather than a topos
object.

For simplicity, let us consider just [image: S[\mathbb{O}]]. It has finite
limits in the sense that for any finite diagram [image: J] we have a
geometric morphism [image: \varprojlim: S[\mathbb{O}]^J \to S[\mathbb{O}]]
which is right adjoint to the diagonal [image: \Delta: S[\mathbb{O}] \to
S[\mathbb{O}]]. Indeed, we may define this simply on points by [image:
\{F(j)\}_{j\in J} \mapsto \varprojlim F(j)], noting that geometric
morphisms preserve finite limits. Similarly, for infinite colimits we have
a morphism [image: \varinjlim: S[\mathbb{O}]^J \to S[\mathbb{O}]], defined
similarly.
To say [image: S[\mathbb{O}]] is a logos object, we should probably say it
satisfies some version of the Giraud axioms. I am not completely confident
how this would work precisely.

I do understand the locale case. Here the Sierpinski locale [image:
\mathbb{S}] is an internal frame in [image: Locale] which simply means we
have [image: \wedge: \mathbb{S}^2 \to \mathbb{S}, \vee_I: \mathbb{S}^I \to
\mathbb{S}] which distribute. The Giraud axioms can also be seen as a sort
of distributivity axioms, but the details elude me.

You mention something about using the M-algebra structure of [image:
S[\mathbb{O}]] where [image: M] is the symmetric topos construction. I am
not sure how the symmetric topos monad will help, could you say more about
this?

best,
Alexander