categories - Category Theory list
From: Brendan Fong <brendan@topos.institute>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Second Announcement: Em-Cats Virtual Seminar
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 20:42:00 -0700	[thread overview]

Dear categories list,

I'd like to make a second announcement of the Emerging Researchers in
Category Theory (Em-Cats) Virtual Seminar, which will comprise talks given
by graduate students in Category Theory around the world.

We invite students to apply to speak in the seminar. We also would
appreciate any efforts from thesis advisors and other mentors to encourage
their less self-confident students to apply.

The first round of applications closes next week, on April 30th, 2021.

The aims of the seminar are, broadly:

1. Help the next generation of category theorists become wonderful speakers.
2. Make use of the virtual possibilities, and give opportunities to
graduate students in places where there is not a category theory group or
local seminar they can usefully speak in.
3. Give an opportunity to graduate students to have a global audience,
especially giving more visibility to students from less famous/large groups.
4. Make a general opportunity for community among category theorists who
are more isolated than those with local groups.
5. Make a series of truly intelligible talks, which we hope students and
researchers around the world will enjoy and appreciate.

Eugenia Cheng leads the seminar, and will assist each speaker in the
preparation of their talk, to ensure that all talks are excellent. We
expect to plan one talk per month initially, starting in August or
September 2021.

More information, including the application form, can be found on the
seminar website: https://topos.site/em-cats/.

With kind regards,
Brendan