categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Parts and telling apart
@ 2021-09-25  2:41 Posina Venkata Rayudu
From: Posina Venkata Rayudu @ 2021-09-25  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I just thought of adding that the conditions for the representability
of a category C as a functor category B^A is given my Roos' theorem
(kindly translated by Professor Lafforgue):

Roos' Theorem, as stated on page 415 of SGA4 (volume 1), says that the
three following conditions on a topos E are equivalent :

i) The family of essential points of E is conservative. (NB : A point
is called "essential" when its fiber functor not only has a right
adjoint but also a left adjoint.)

ii) The full sub-category of E consisting in objects which are
connected - non empty and projective is generating.

iii) E is a presheaf topos.

At the end of the volume, there is a reference to three notes (in
French) of Roos at "Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des Sciences", with
the general title "Distributivity of colimits with respect to limits
in toposes". This reference is to CR 259 (August and September 1964) :
p. 969-972, 1605-1608 and 1801-1804.

In the context of the mutual relationship between change/variation and
unity/cohesion, I'd like to add:

A monoid with a single constant (as a kind of variation) gives rise to
a topos (of right actions of the monoid), i.e. idempotents (Ex. 5 in
Conceptual Mathematics, p. 367; which is a quality type; Definition 1
in http://tac.mta.ca/tac/volumes/19/3/19-03.pdf), whose subobject
classifier is not connected, and hence fails to satisfy one of the
axioms of cohesion (Axiom 2 in
http://tac.mta.ca/tac/reprints/articles/9/tr9.pdf).

On the other hand, a monoid with two constants (another kind of
variation) gives rise to a cohesive topos (reflexive graphs;
Conceptual Mathematics, p. 367).

With regard to UNIVERSAL MAPPING PROPERTY, it was also not discovered
in its "simplest" (structureless) instantiation of initial set (as
that which has exactly one function to any set); it required a more
structured setting:

Samuel, P. (1948) On universal mappings and free topological groups,
Bull. A.M.S. 54: 591-598
(https://www.ams.org/journals/bull/1948-54-06/S0002-9904-1948-09052-8/S0002-9904-1948-09052-8.pdf).

Is it related to the difficulty of seeing function as a
structure-preserving map, given that the structure preserved is
structurelessness?

Lastly, is the

coseparator ~ subobject classifier

(isomorphism, after discounting that the 'pointed' in pointed object
definition of subobject classifier) valid in the discrete/constant
subcategory of any topos (category with subobject classifier)?

I eagerly look forward to your corrections.

Thank you,
posina

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 3:54 AM Posina Venkata Rayudu
<posinavrayudu@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> definition of subobject classifier) specific to localic (as opposed to
> cohesive) toposes (cf. Sets for Mathematics, pp. 93-94)?
>
> Also from a pedagogical perspective, given that our everyday
> experience is that of categories of objects, all of which partake in
> the essence/theory T characterizing a category C (Sets for
> Mathematics, pp. 154-155), and since all objects of any category
> partake in the essence T of the category, the transformations between
> objects of the category necessarily preserve the essence, and hence
> are structure-respecting maps (see Conceptual Mathematics, pp.
> 149-151), which, in turn, are representable as natural transformations
> (ibid, p. 378).  Equally accessible is the idea that mathematical
> objects, which are about everyday objects, are not unlike everyday
> objects in that they are also made up of figures of various basic
> shapes and their incidences (my attempt to introduce basic shapes and
> their incidence relations to designers didn't get far;
> https://zenodo.org/record/3924760#.YUzpptJBzZ4).  And, then, in
> addition to cohesion/essence/theory characterizing a category (in a
> sense, we are limiting ourselves to presheaves or those categories C
> that can be represented as contravariant functors M: T^op --> S, i.e.
> as diagrams in the category S of sets), we can see that the natural
> transformation (not unlike the transformations that we encounter in
> our everyday life such as a water flowing downhill) respects the
> essence of the object of a category that is being transformed (which
> is T in the natural transformation of M: T^op --> S to N: T^op --> S).
> Equally importantly, we can also begin with a mode of variation/change
> and arrive at a category of objects (topos of right actions of a
> monoid [objectifying change/variation]; Conceptual Mathematics, pp.
> 360-361).  This direction, i.e. objectification of change is
> particularly important, given that we are given change (the basic
> building block of our conscious experiences is contrast) and those
> changes (natural transformations), in respecting/preserving the way
> figures of various basic shapes stick together, make it possible to
> reconstruct objects (as functors) based on the given change/variation
> (but for natural transformations preserving the unity of objects
> transformed, by the time I reach Malabar Cafe for ginger tea, there is
> nothing stopping my leg being up in the clear skies of Bengaluru ;-)
>
> Is it inappropriate to claim that a universe of everyday experience is
> accounted for by the notion of:
>
> categories of objects
>
> along with the mutual determination of:
>
> change/variation <--> cohesion/unity
>
> and does so in a manner accessible to total beginners (here's an
> everyday objectification of change; https://youtu.be/r0kLC-pridI).
>
> Your time permitting, please correct any mistakes I might have made in
> my characterization of categories of objects.
>
> I eagerly look forward to your corrections.

* Re: Parts and telling apart
@ 2021-09-26  8:59 Phillip-Jan van Zyl
From: Phillip-Jan van Zyl @ 2021-09-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Posina Venkata Rayudu; +Cc: categories

Dear Posina

I am certainly not able to answer all of your questions in a way to captures every subtlety therein, but I can offer the following insights:

1. Functions between sets are indeed prototypical in the creation of a category, but you can always regard a function simply as a relation. Then all the functions have inverse relations. If you want to argue about the "inside" of such relations, you can do this by chasing subobjects. Chasing subobjects seems to be one fruitful way of getting around the fact that not all functions are invertible. When arguing about sets you can chase subsets, but you can also chase partitions.

2. I am not sure what a coseparator is, but note that nothing stops you from studying functions 2 -> X in a category. You can classify partitions in Sets in this way, by selecting pairs of (possibly the same) elements in equivalence classes. If you select distinct elements, this means that you select instead elements in different equivalance classes. In the category of groups a homomorphism 2 -> G is forced to give you a torsion element of order 2. In other words, it selects such g in G that g * g = 1.

3. In so far as pointedness is a categorical concept, the category of sets has certain behaviour that is pointed. If you take any function 1 -> X, then this induces a image, i.e. the singleton {f(x)}. But if you induce instead a partition, you always induce the discrete partition: the partition where every point is in its own equivalence class. This is a way to study Set such that it mimics the attribute in groups where f(1) = 1, where 1 is the  group identity, i.e. constant functions. You can instead study the category of pointed sets, or the dual category of the category of sets. Partitions  are subobjects in the dual category of Sets.

Note that I am not a regular (person) in category theory circles so my definitions and arguments are not guaranteed to be standard.

Best regards
Phillip-Jan van Zyl