categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Thomas Fox
@ 2021-10-12  0:21 Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2021-10-12  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list

This is very sad news, Andr\'e.

Tom and Giovanna invited me to dinner a number of times during
my visits to Montr\'eal. The first time I remember Giovanna opening the
door, releasing the cooking aroma. After the kisses to three cheeks,
I said ``Buon profumo!''. Giovanna said ``Oh, you speak Italian.''
After my denial, she responded
``Anyone who recognises buon profumo speaks Italian''.
A lovely welcome to a wonderful evening and Italian meal.
Another of Tom's talents was his cooking.

My deep condolences to Giovanna and our community.
Ross

> On 10 Oct 2021, at 5:02 am, Joyal, Andr? <joyal.andre@uqam.ca> wrote:
>
> It is a great sorrow to announce that Thomas Fox died home October 2
> with the loving care of his wife Giovanna Carnevale.
>
> Thom was a category theorist, a teacher and a singer.
>
> He got his Phd from McGill University under the supervision of Michael
Barr.

https://reporter.mcgill.ca/thomas-fox-earns-mcgill-medal-for-lifelong-commitment-to-sharing-joy-of-math/

> His teaching was very highly rated by his students at Dawson:
>
> https://space.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/explorations/article/interview_tom_fox
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/2331051666
>

> He enjoyed singing in many languages including Italian, French and
Russian:

> https://www.math.mcgill.ca/fox/
>
> I remember well the reception that Thom and Giovanna held at their place
> at the occasion of a category theory Octoberfest: Michael Barr, Jon
Beck, Denis Higgs, Jim Lambek, Bill Lawvere, Michael Makkai, Barry
Mitchell, Susan  Niefield, Robert Par?, Gonzalo Reyes, Bob Rosebrugh,
Myles Tierney and Don Van Osdol were there, to name a few.

> Thom will be missed.
>
> Andr?

---1530486996-1564830125-1633999511=:19019--

* Thomas Fox
@ 2021-10-12  7:15 Andrew Pitts
From: Andrew Pitts @ 2021-10-12  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I was very saddened to hear this news. My wife Susan and I have very fond
memories of Fox (as he was known to us) and Giovanna ??? they were hugely
hospitable to us when we arrived in Montreal (and in particular in their
neighbourhood) in the Fall of 1983 when I was a young post-doc visiting
McGill.

Andy Pitts

> On 9 Oct 2021, at 19:02, Joyal, Andr?? <joyal.andre@uqam.ca> wrote:
>
> It is a great sorrow to announce that Thomas Fox died home October 2
> with the loving care of his wife Giovanna Carnevale.
>
> Thom was a category theorist, a teacher and a singer.
>
> He got his Phd from McGill University under the supervision of Michael
Barr.
> He was a pionner in the application of categorical methods to
deformation theory:

> https://www.math.mcgill.ca/fox/papers.html
>
> He taught at Dawson College and at McGill University, where he received
> the Principal's Prize for his teaching:

https://reporter.mcgill.ca/thomas-fox-earns-mcgill-medal-for-lifelong-commitment-to-sharing-joy-of-math/

> His teaching was very highly rated by his students at Dawson:
>
> https://space.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/explorations/article/interview_tom_fox
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/2331051666
>

> He enjoyed singing in many languages including Italian, French and
Russian:

> https://www.math.mcgill.ca/fox/
>
> I remember well the reception that Thom and Giovanna held at their place
> at the occasion of a category theory Octoberfest: Michael Barr, Jon
Beck, Denis Higgs, Jim Lambek, Bill Lawvere, Michael Makkai, Barry
Mitchell, Susan  Niefield, Robert Par??, Gonzalo Reyes, Bob Rosebrugh,
Myles Tierney and Don Van Osdol were there, to name a few.

> Thom will be missed.
>
> Andr??
---1530486996-1413931678-1634048602=:27772--

* Re: Thomas Fox
@ 2021-10-10  2:51 Bob Coecke
From: Bob Coecke @ 2021-10-10  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I don’t think I ever met Tom Fox, but I do remember Dusko Pavlovic telling me in 2005 about Tom’s phd work, and that work ended up being vital for the development of categorical quantum mechanics, ZX-calculus, DisCoCat, QNLP, and all the other stuff that has `spiders’.  Thank you Thomas.

> On 9 Oct 2021, at 19:02, Joyal, André <joyal.andre@uqam.ca> wrote:
>
> It is a great sorrow to announce that Thomas Fox died home October 2
> with the loving care of his wife Giovanna Carnevale.
>
> Thom was a category theorist, a teacher and a singer.
>
> He got his Phd from McGill University under the supervision of Michael Barr.
> He was a pionner in the application of categorical methods to deformation theory:
>
> https://www.math.mcgill.ca/fox/papers.html
>
> He taught at Dawson College and at McGill University, where he received
> the Principal's Prize for his teaching:
>
> https://reporter.mcgill.ca/thomas-fox-earns-mcgill-medal-for-lifelong-commitment-to-sharing-joy-of-math/
>
> His teaching was very highly rated by his students at Dawson:
>
> https://space.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/explorations/article/interview_tom_fox
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/2331051666
>

> He enjoyed singing in many languages including Italian, French and Russian:
>
> https://www.math.mcgill.ca/fox/
>
> I remember well the reception that Thom and Giovanna held at their place
> at the occasion of a category theory Octoberfest: Michael Barr, Jon Beck, Denis Higgs, Jim Lambek, Bill Lawvere, Michael Makkai, Barry Mitchell, Susan  Niefield, Robert Paré, Gonzalo Reyes, Bob Rosebrugh, Myles Tierney and Don Van Osdol were there, to name a few.
>
> Thom will be missed.
>
> André

* Thomas Fox
@ 2021-10-09 18:02 Joyal, André