categories - Category Theory list
From: Thomas Streicher <streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: out of the blue?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:43:32 +0200	[thread overview]

End of August Marta and I exchanged some mails. As usual mathematical
and other things mixed. She was mentioning hospices in a subordinate clause
but not at all that it was an acute problem for her. Had no idea she
as ill!

So this was a very bad surprise this morning when reading the mail
telling that she just had died.

Although we hardly ever met personally we exchanged tons of of mails.
It started when we, i.e. she, Mamuka J., Jonathon F. and I worked
together on aspects of distribution algebras. My role was a minor one
namely to help with some knowledge about fibered aspects. She liked
these things and had none of the common prejudices. Remember that we
exchanged some mails when Jean B. died earlier this year. (I am still
grateful to her for providing me with his famous Montreal lecture notes!)
Haven't had the faintest idea she would follow so quickly...

I was deeply impressed by her work on measures on toposes (with J. Funk).
Have learnt a lot from her in our period of collaboration.

The only comforting thought is that the period of illness was not too long.

Thomas S.