categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Marta Bunge, 1938-2022
@ 2022-10-26 10:18 Andrée Ehresmann
From: Andrée Ehresmann @ 2022-10-26 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bunge Hoang; +Cc: Categories

Dear Eric and Silvia,

Thank you for the letter informing me of the death of your mother Marta
Bungewhich makes me very sad. Though we have had few opportunities to
meet 'in person', we had a 40 yearsvery close link together, powered by
a number of similarities of our lives.

In I984, Marta accepted to become one of the first Editors of the
"Cahiers de Topologie et G??om??trie Diff??rentielle Cat??goriques", where
she did an excellent job up to the end.Our last exchange of letters was
nearly a month ago about the acceptance of a paper submitted to her for
the Cahiers. Though already ill, she chose to review it herself very
quickly, making a well thought out detailed report.

I'll remember of Marta as an important mathematician and a dear friend.

With my best warm thoughts
Andr??e

* Re: Marta Bunge, 1938-2022
@ 2022-10-26 23:38 Valeria de Paiva
From: Valeria de Paiva @ 2022-10-26 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrée Ehresmann; +Cc: Bunge Hoang, Categories

Dear colleagues,
I would like to join my voice to Thomas' and Andree's in lamenting Marta
Bunge's sudden demise.
I know she was happy in New York and had many categorical plans, when the
disease caught her.
I also (hope I) know that she was pleased with the idea of our special
volume to celebrate her work.
This special TAC volume was decided long before she or anyone else knew she
was ill.
It is a shame that things progressed too fast for her to see the list of
colleagues that wanted to honor her.

With a heavy heart,
Valeria

* Marta Bunge, 1938-2022
@ 2022-10-25 21:50 Bunge Hoang
From: Bunge Hoang @ 2022-10-25 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Family, Dear Friends,

We are very sad to share the news that our beloved mother Marta Bunge
passed away peacefully early this morning at her home in Brooklyn, NY. With
us at her side, she was surrounded not only with the love of our family,
but also with attentive hospice care in her apartment.

We were lucky to spend much time with her since she moved to New York from
Montreal almost one year ago. Despite sadness that her last chapter was so
brief, we are grateful that she was close to us, especially when she became
ill. In losing her, we lose a wonderful, smart and elegant mother, a wise
grandmother, a pioneering mathematician, and above all a dear friend.  We
know that many of you will feel the same, and we are very sorry to have to
share this news.

We have fulfilled her wishes, which include that there be no memorial or
ceremony.  We hope we can stay in contact with you.  We apologize that we
are not able to email you individually, but we wanted you all to know as
soon as possible.

With love and grief,

Eric and Silvia Bunge