categories - Category Theory list
From: George Janelidze <janelg@telkomsa.net>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re:  Direct image functors
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:03:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Peter and Steve,

If anyone protests against the direct image functor being a right adjoint, I
would recall the following simple well-known story:

1. If f : X-->Y is a map of sets, then the inverse image (=pullback) functor

f* : Sets/Y --> Sets/X has both left and right adjoint. Let me call them Lf
and Rf, respectively.

2. If we replace Sets with an arbitrary category C with pullbacks, then f*
and Lf are still there, but Rf disappears, unless C is locally cartesian
closed. In particular, there is no Rf (in general) when C = Top is the
category of topological spaces.

3. But if I am thinking towards topos theory, I might prefer to consider not

f* : Top/Y --> Top/X,

but

f* : Shv(Y) --> Shv(X), where Shv(?), the category of sheaves (of sets) over
"?", is equivalent to the full subcategory of Top/? with objects all local
homeomorphisms with codomain "?", and, under this equivalence, the 'new' f*
is the restriction of the old one. And then we have f* and Rf but not Lf (in
general).

Therefore, I might prefer to have name "direct image functor" for the right
adjoint! Peter, might this be what you thought of as "geometric aspects"?
(Surely, a geometer, considering, say, a manifold X, would be more
interested in Shv(X) than in Top/X.)

With apologies for trivialities-
George