categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Non-cartesian closedness of Met
@ 2022-12-18 13:04 ptj
From: ptj @ 2022-12-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Jirka,

That's an interesting idea, but I'm having difficulty making it work
in practice. It seems to me that the most you can get from considering
morphisms from 2 is that the metric on [X,Y] must satisfy
d(f,g) \geq sup_x d(fx,gx) -- to get the reverse inequality you would
need to impose the L_1 metric on the product 2 x X. And that
inequality is the wrong way round for showing that the transpose
of addition on R is nonexpansive.

Best regards,
Peter

@ 2022-12-17  9:20 Dirk Hofmann
From: Dirk Hofmann @ 2022-12-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Peter,

we don't have such an example in the paper. Our argument used the
cartesian closed category of "metric spaces without triangular
inequality", and showed that, for a metric space X, all
exponential Y^X (Y metric) taken in that category satisfy the
triangular inequality if and only if X satisfies that condition.

Best regards
Dirk

On 16 December 2022 at 22:05 GMT+0000, ptj@maths.cam.ac.uk wrote

@ 2022-12-16 16:41 ptj