categories - Category Theory list
* Online category theory resources
@ 2023-01-08 12:02 Peter Smith
From: Peter Smith @ 2023-01-08 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

A while back, I constructed a webpage linking to online materials on category theory at an introductory/middling  level, including lecture notes, (legally available!!) books, and a few videos of lectures. You’ll find an updated version at

https://www.logicmatters.net/categories/

I initially put this together for my own use, to keep track of things I’d found. But the page gets about 1500 visits a month, so obviously some others are finding it useful too.

I’m certainly not aiming to be completist, but I have no doubt missed some good things. So do please do let me know of appropriate recent materials I should be adding to the list. And perhaps spread the word to students who might find it useful!

Peter Smith

* Online category theory resources
@ 2023-01-10 19:24 Steve Awodey
From: Steve Awodey @ 2023-01-10 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Smith, categories net

Dear Peter (and Categories),

Thank you for recommending my textbook on your website, but I am afraid that the link you give there went to a directory containing chapters from the obsolete *first edition* from 2006, which had some problems that were corrected in the *second edition* from 2010.  I was wondering why these outdated files are still circulating online, and now I know: they were still available on my own (old) website!

In any case, they are definitely *not* to be recommended, and are superseded by the second edition - which, unfortunately, is not freely available online in any (authorized) form.  What *is* available is a draft textbook-in-progress on categorical logic, the zeroth chapter of which is a primer on category theory that some students may find useful.   The latest version is linked to from my website under courses/categorical logic/lecture notes, or here:

https://awodey.github.io/catlog/notes/catlog0.pdf

I’m sorry for the trouble, but I have now (finally) removed the old directory with the out-dated chapters, so you will need to correct the (dead) link to it on your website.  Thanks for compiling and maintaining your web pages on category theory - they are a valuable resource!

Best wishes,

Steve

@ 2019-11-26 11:46 Peter Smith
From: Peter Smith @ 2019-11-26 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

A while back, I constructed a webpage linking to online materials on category theory at an introductory/middling  level, including lecture notes, (legally available!) books, and videos of lectures. You’ll find it at

https://www.logicmatters.net/categories/

I initially wrote this really for my own use, to keep track of things I found. But the page has got over 25K visits in the last year, so obviously some others are finding it useful too.

I’ve had another non-categorial project recently, so haven’t been giving this page much attention. However, I’ve just now updated it, removed a couple of dead links and corrected some others. But please do let me know of appropriate recent materials I should be adding to the list — and spread the word to students who might find it useful.

Peter Smith