categories - Category Theory list
From: Steven Vickers <s.j.vickers.1@bham.ac.uk>
To: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Terminology for point-free topology?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:47:00 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Pedro,

Of course, that's the very reason why I wanted to transfer it to the style of working without points.

That's slightly unfair, in that in many cases of reasoning algebraically, without points, it's not at all clear how to do it pointwise.

You and I have certainly experienced that in our work on quantales, which are much more purely algebraic gadgets. Our approach via localic suplattices  (algebras for the lower hyperspace monad) gives a more point-free approach  to the subject, but it takes effort - I think you'll agree - to work with the hyperspaces in a pointwise manner.

Do you think there's a less derogatory term for the style of reasoning without points?

All the best,

Steve.