categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Awodey <awodey@cmu.edu>
To: categories net <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: categories: Bill Lawvere
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 08:58:11 -0500	[thread overview]

Dear Colleagues,

It’s very sad to hear about Bill Lawvere’s passing. I haven’t seen him since a meeting at Colgate several years ago,
where he came with his son, who I believe is a math teacher.

Bill was of course a great mathematician who changed the way we think about logic and the foundations of mathematics, but he was also a kind and generous  person.
When I was a student of Saunders at Chicago, Bill often visited for the weekend and lectured, discussed ideas with me, and encouraged me.  I suppose he was there to talk to Ieke, who visited often then,
because he and Saunders were working on the book.  But Bill was always happy  to patiently explain things to me and to suggest things for me to work on.

When he later came to CMU for a seminar, I told him he would have a bit more  time than a usual lecture, up to 2 hours.
The room had large blackboards on 3 walls, and he used all 3 of them, moving  desks out of the way and telling the audience to turn their chairs.  After 3  hours I had to cut him off - he had only heard the part about having more time!

I am very grateful for the patience and generosity that Bill showed me as a student,
and for his mathematical ideas which have fascinated and motivated me ever since then.

I also recall that Saunders had the very highest opinion of Bill.

Best wishes,

Steve