categories - Category Theory list
* Bill Lawvere
@ 2023-01-24 17:21 Alberto Peruzzi
From: Alberto Peruzzi @ 2023-01-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Spam detection software, running on the system "ciao.gmane.io",
has identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
@@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@ for details.

Content preview:  Dear all, a very sad news: Lawvere’s family asked me to
  provide you with the message below. Alberto Peruzzi Francis William Lawvere
   (known to most as Bill) died peacefully yesterday (January 23, 2023) at sunrise,
   surrounded by family at his home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina after a long
   period of illness. [...]

 pts rule name              description
 0.0 DKIM_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED   No valid author signature, adsp_override is
                             CUSTOM_MED
 0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
                            blocked.  See
                            http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                             for more information.
                            [URIs: mta.ca]
 1.0 FORGED_GMAIL_RCVD      'From' gmail.com does not match 'Received'
                            headers
 0.2 FREEMAIL_REPLYTO_END_DIGIT Reply-To freemail username ends in
                            digit (attipg2011[at]gmail.com)
 1.1 DATE_IN_PAST_03_06     Date: is 3 to 6 hours before Received: date
 0.7 LOCALPART_IN_SUBJECT   Local part of To: address appears in
                            Subject
 0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM          Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail
                            provider (attipg2011[at]gmail.com)
 0.2 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level
                            mail domains are different
 0.0 FREEMAIL_FORGED_FROMDOMAIN 2nd level domains in From and
                            EnvelopeFrom freemail headers are
                            different
 1.0 FREEMAIL_REPLYTO       Reply-To/From or Reply-To/body contain
                            different freemails
 2.5 SPOOFED_FREEM_REPTO    Forged freemail sender with freemail
                            reply-to

[-- Attachment #2: original message before SpamAssassin --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1920 bytes --]

From: Alberto Peruzzi <attipg2011@gmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: categories: Bill Lawvere
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:21:46 +0100

Dear all,

a very sad news: Lawvere’s family asked me to provide you with the message below.
Alberto Peruzzi

Francis William Lawvere (known to most as Bill) died peacefully yesterday (January 23, 2023) at sunrise, surrounded by family at his home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina after a long period of illness. He was born in Muncie, Indiana on Feb. 9, 1937 and has family, friends and colleagues around the world. No services will be held at this time, however several memorial celebrations of life and scientific work are anticipated.

Correspondence with family can be sent to his wife Fatima at fatimaylawvere@gmail.com <mailto:fatimaylawvere@gmail.com> or to
111 East Winmore Ave., Chapel Hill, NC 27516 USA.

* categories: Re: Bill Lawvere
@ 2023-01-24 23:46 ` Rosenthal, Kimmo
From: Rosenthal, Kimmo @ 2023-01-24 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Peruzzi; +Cc: categories

I am incredibly saddened at the passing of Bill Lawvere. In my first term
of graduate school in 1974, I found myself in Bill’s Algebra class and,
looking back, it was the single most fortuitous and defining moment in my
career. I was enthralled and captivated by a new view of mathematics,
learning, and scholarship that opened my eyes and would serve as a
fingerpost directing me towards my future path. Whatever modest successes I
may have had as a mathematician I owe to Bill’s teachings, example,  and
mentorship. Others will speak more astutely than I ever could to his many,
many contributions and accomplishments; what I will continue to cherish is
his kind friendship and also his unmatched generosity of spirit. As I now
reflect on Bill, what comes to mind is the definition of the word *mensch*
- a person of integrity and honor, of kindness and consideration, someone
to admire and emulate. Kimmo Rosenthal

@ 2023-01-27 13:36 ` Matias M
From: Matias M @ 2023-01-27 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Peruzzi; +Cc: categories

Dear colleagues,

I met Bill only relatively recently at ct99 in Coimbra, so, for instance,  I
never saw him bringing up his political views in a public mathematical
discussion, but I have witnessed many times his generosity and efforts to
give deep and honest advice to colleagues of all ages, in that peculiar way
of his which was both self confident and yet devoid of arrogance.

He was also very patient. I have very fond memories of our conversations
during ct meetings, at the Bristol seminar he organized , at the México
workshops organized by Quico, and also in Arcadia with Fatima and Silvana.

Motivated by Bill’s interest on o-minimal structures we once attended an
important summer school on Model Theory. When the organizers realized Bill
was there they made a public announcement celebrating his presence and
invited him to chair a session.

We Category Theorists were indeed privileged  to share an epoch, or part of
one, with Bill’s profound intellect.

His results will influence our subject for many years. Still, I would like
to encourage younger generations to continue studying his work, including
his messages to this list, where they will find a treasure of remarkable
brightness, full of  fascinating ideas still to be pursued.

Yours,

Matías

* categories: Re: Bill Lawvere
@ 2023-02-01 14:51   ` Sabadini Nicoletta
From: Sabadini Nicoletta @ 2023-02-01 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Peruzzi, Matias M; +Cc: categories

Dear colleagues, I am really really sad for Bill departure.
The scientific world, and category theory, lost a giant. His work was and will always be a continuous source of inspiration and motivation.
He was also a very special friend for my husband, Bob Walters and, more recently, for me.
Un forte abbraccio a Fatima and family.
Nicoletta Sabadini

________________________________

@ 2023-02-09  4:58 ` Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2023-02-09  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Kock; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

Dear Anders

Thank you for that tribute and interesting history particularly poignant on  Bill's birthday.

On 9 Feb 2023, at 2:39 am, Anders Kock <kock@math.au.dk> wrote:

In my world picture, I felt that I had the privilege of seeing Category Theory, as a subject in its own right, come into being.

That reminds me, and perhaps I have mentioned this before?
Sammy Eilenberg told me once that each category theorist must have a special category on which they are expert.
I told that to John Gray who said: Ross, the time has come for that category to be Cat.
John's graduate course on category theory was based on that philosophy, heavily influenced by Bill's LaJolla paper.

Ross