categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Composing modifications
@ 2010-03-07 22:23 Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2010-03-07 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

(this was sent earlier but had some html which may have got it rejected).
Thanks  very much for the info.

After I sent off my email I did remember (just about) papers of Tom
Fiore and of Grandis/Pare which were relevant and was collecting
together references, but fortunately you beat me to it, and with any
interesting points.

It may be convenient to have the definition of multiple composition in
KX, the cubical singular complex of X, on the record
as follows:
Let $(m) = (m_1, \ldots , m_n)$ be an $n$-tuple of positive integers
and
$$\phi_{(m)} : I^n \rightarrow [0, m_1] \times \cdots \times [0,
m_n]$$ be the map $(x_1 , \ldots , x_n) \mapsto (m_1 x_1, \ldots ,
m_n x_n).$ Then a {\it subdivision of type $(m)$} \index{singular
$n$-cubes!subdivision of type $(m)$} of a map $\alpha : I^n
\rightarrow X$ is a factorisation $\alpha = \alpha' \circ
\phi_{(m)}$; its {\it parts} are the cubes $\alpha_{(r)}$ where $(r)
= (r_1, \ldots , r_n)$ is an $n$-tuple of integers with $1 \leqslant
r_i \leqslant m_i$, $i = 1, \ldots , n,$ and where $\alpha_{(r)} :
I^n \rightarrow X$ is given by
$$(x_1, \ldots , x_n) \mapsto
\alpha'(x_1 + r_1 - 1, \ldots , x_n + r_n - 1).$$

We then say that $\alpha$ is the {\it composite}of the
cubes $\alpha_{(r)}$ and write $\alpha = [\alpha_{(r)}]$. The {\it
domain} of $\alpha_{(r)}$ is then the set $\{(x_1,\ldots,x_n) \in
I^n : r_i-1 \leqslant x_i \leqslant r_i, 1 \leqslant i \leqslant
n\}$.
(I have also put on  the arXiv an exposition of Moore Hyperrectangles,
which is the start of another approach. One problem with this is that a
homotopy is more general than a Moore hyperrectangle as defined  there,
since a homotopy is a path in a space of such hyperrectangles.)

These compositions satisfy an interchange law, but without associativity
(unlike the Moore approach) we do not get of course any of what one
might call `partitioning' results. One should get these `up to homotopy'
but this seems  difficult to formulate.

In our work we also found the necessity of `connections', \Gamma^\pm _i,
which have many advantages including bringing the cubical theory a
little nearer to the simplicial: a cube \Gamma^\pm_i  x has two adjacent
faces the same. In the strict theory, or at least for groupoids, the
compositions, at least of two  cubes,  are recoverable from the
connections, up to homotopy.

Then of course one needs the more general n-fold objects. These occur
topologically from (n+1)-ads
X_*= (X;A_1, ....,A_n) where the A_i are subspaces of  X. Let \Phi=
\Phi(X_*) consist of maps of an n-cube into X which take the faces in
direction i into A_i. Then \Phi has n compositions, making it a `weak
n-fold category' . (The amazing fact (Loday) is that \p_1(\Phi, *),
where * is the constant map, gets the structure of cat^n-group = strict
(!!) n-fold groupoid in groups, and these model weak pointed homotopy
(n+1)-types. )

So I am just suggesting that cubical approaches have reached into
methods not easily approachable by simplicial or globular methods  and
perhaps more can be made of this.

Will more high powered approaches using operads help in all this?

I should also mention Richard Steiner's paper
Thin fillers in the cubical nerves of omega-categories
<http://0-ams.mpim-bonn.mpg.de.unicat.bangor.ac.uk/mathscinet/search/journaldoc.html?cn=Theory_Appl_Categ>
<http://0-ams.mpim-bonn.mpg.de.unicat.bangor.ac.uk/mathscinet/search/publications.html?pg1=ISSI&s1=240201>,
Theory App Categories (2006) 144--173 as suggesting the possibility of
using some kind of thin structure to define weak cubical categories.

My motivation all along was in terms of `algebraic inverses to
subdivision' .

Ronnie

Richard Garner wrote:

> Dear Ronnie,
>
> There are a number of "cubical" notions of bicategory or higher in the
> literature with which I am sure you are familiar; the earliest being
> Dominic Verity's double bicategories (which are really a particular
> kind of triple category), and later the weak (or pseudo) double
> categories studied in a series of papers by Bob Paré and Marco
> Grandis. However, none of these quite seem to fit the spirit of what
> you are asking for, and certainly do not describe the singular cubical
> complex of a space.

* Composing modifications
@ 2010-02-27 14:49 David Leduc
       [not found] ` <alpine.LRH.2.00.1003030251180.22708@taylor.maths.gla.ac.uk>
From: David Leduc @ 2010-02-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

I am reading Basic Bicategories by Tom Leinster, and I have basic
questions about modifications.

1) Suppose that n, n', m and m' are transformations such that  m * n
and  m' * n'  are well defined, where * denotes horizontal (=
Godement) composition of transformations.
>From given modifications  a:m-->m'  and  b:n-->n'  is there a way to
derive a modification from  m * n  to  m' * n'  ?

2) There are two ways to compose transformations: vertical and
horizontal. What are the ways to compose modifications?

Thanks for your help,

David