categories - Category Theory list
* RE: Semantic tableaux and intuitionistic logic
@ 2003-06-09 14:05 Jean-Pierre Marquis
From: Jean-Pierre Marquis @ 2003-06-09 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The following references might be of some interest:

Bell, J.L. & DeVidi, D., Solomon, G., 2001, Logical Options, Broadview
Press.

Marcello D'Agostino, Dov M. Gabbay, Reiner Hahnle, Joachim Posegga, 1999,
Handbook of Tableau Methods,
Kluwer Academic Pub.

Jean-Pierre Marquis

From: Thomas Streicher @ 2003-06-06  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

       [not found] <Law10-F92545aW1OHBt00034f9f@hotmail.com>
@ 2003-06-02 20:08 ` Galchin Vasili
From: Galchin Vasili @ 2003-06-02 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The reason why I suggested that the Law of Excluded
Middle is required is that reductio ad absurbdum is
the core concept in Tableaux or to put it another way
Tableaux is built around bivalent logic.

Regards, Bill

@ 2003-06-02 13:02 ` jlipton
From: jlipton @ 2003-06-02 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Nerode, Shore: logic for Applications, Springer, has detailed tableau
development for intuitionistic, and modal logics: i.e. there is
nothing intrinsically classical about the method. The ideas go back to
Hintikka and Beth (at least) in the 1950s and 60s.

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Galchin Vasili wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I am only familiar with semantic tableaux for
> classical propositional logic (and classical 1st order
> logic). It seems that as an inference system it is
> based squarely around the law of the excluded middle
> because it is essentially reductio ad absurdum. Hence,
> as an inference system it can't be simply modified for
> intuitionistic propositional calculus?? (Of course, I
> am bringing this because the role that Heyting
> algebras play in Topos theory).
>
> Regards, Bill Halchin

Jim Lipton   Math Dept.Wesleyan University, Middletown,CT 06459-0128
             www.wesleyan.edu/~jlipton  jlipton@wesleyan.edu,
             (860) 685-2188 fax:685-2571

* Semantic tableaux and intuitionistic logic
@ 2003-05-30 20:14 Galchin Vasili