categories - Category Theory list
From: "mhebert" <mhebert@aucegypt.edu>
To: "categories" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Implicit algebraic operations
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:48:21 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi everyone,

Todd Wilson asks :
> My question is this: Does a definitive treatment of this phenomenon [pa=
rtial operations
, ...,  non-surjective epimorphisms,...] in
> "algebraic" categories exist? Are there still some mysteries/open probl=
ems?

It seems to me that the problem of
"characterizing the algebraic theories giving rise to varieties where all=
 the epis are surjective"
(posed by Bill Lawvere in
Some algebraic problems in the context..., LNM 61 (1968) )
is still essentially open. Anyone knows otherwise?
(A "classical" version might be to find a - syntactic-  condition on the =
equations necessary and sufficient to have all epis surjective in its cat=
egory of its models)

Michel Hebert

Fromcat-dist@mta.ca

Tocategories@mta.ca

Cc

DateSun, 26 Nov 2006 22:16:59 -0800

Subjectcategories: Implicit algebraic operations