categories - Category Theory list
From: F W Lawvere <wlawvere@buffalo.edu>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Undirected graph citation
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:21:20 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

Dear George,

   Concerning undirected graphs, the Boolean algebra classifier, and
the intermediate sub-topos that suffices for groupoids:

   The special feature of these toposes I wanted to emphasize is not that
some of them can be generated by monoids, but rather (whether one splits
idempotents or not) that the site of operators is itself a full
subcategory of the category of sets. This is a small part of the point
that Vaughn wanted to make, I believe. Having the direct visualization of
this system of operators available as merely maps between certain small
sets is a useful auxiliary to formal presentations of the d,s kind.
As you mention, a basic way in which such presheaves can arise is by
applying a non-exact functor F to a group; the fact that the exponents on
the group are just these ordinary sets explains why we obtain an object
in this sort of topos (which can serve as a presentation of another group,
if desired).

   As noted in my unpublished (but widely distributed) paper on toposes
generated by codiscrete objects, the Yoneda embedding in these cases
produces of course a full sub-category of a topos, one which looks
exactly like (a piece of) the category of sets; of course this is not
the discrete inclusion, but its dialectical opposite, the codiscrete one.

Bill
F. William Lawvere
Mathematics Department, State University of New York
244 Mathematics Building, Buffalo, N.Y. 14260-2900 USA
Tel. 716-645-6284
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~wlawvere