categories - Category Theory list
From: Phil Scott <phil@site.uottawa.ca>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Questions on dinatural transformations.
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:15:52 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

In general, the naive horizontal merging of dinaturals fails to be
dinatural.  This is discussed in the article "Functorial
Polymorphism" by Bainbridge, Freyd, Scedrov and me (Theoretical Computer
Science 1990, pp. 35-64).

Several counterexamples  are given there.

For example, in a cartesian closed category of domains or CPO's, consider
a dinatural family Y_A:  A^A --> A (e.g. in domains, let Y_A = the least
fixed point operator).  If you were able to compose this with the
"polymorphic identity" dinat id_A: 1---> A^A (i.e. a dinat from
constant functor 1 to (-) ==> (-)  where  id_A = the transpose of the
identity on A),  then the category would be degenerate (proved in BFSS,
Appendix A.4).

Of course, if the middle diamond (of an attempted merging of two dinat
families) is a pullback or pushout, then merging works. (see BFSS, Fact
1.2).

Re vertical merging, some things can be said quite generally: e.g BFSS,
Propn. 1.3.

For various generalizations, see Peter Freyd's paper "Structural
Polymorphism" (in TCS, 1993, pp.107-129).  Soloviev has also discussed
compositionality of dinats in several articles in JPAA.

                    Philip Scott