categories - Category Theory list
* Limit of finite sets
@ 2004-07-30  0:37 Tom Leinster
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Tom Leinster @ 2004-07-30  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: tl

I've recently come across the following curious little result.  I know
how to prove it and have a use for it, but my question is: can anyone
supply a wider context or explanation?

The result is that the limit in Set of any diagram

of finite nonempty sets is nonempty.  Note that finiteness cannot be
dropped: for instance, take each S_n to be the natural numbers and
each map to be addition of 1.

Thanks,
Tom