categories - Category Theory list
* Re:  Realizability and Partial Combinatory Algebras
@ 2003-02-18 11:48 jvoosten
From: jvoosten @ 2003-02-18 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear John,

> Note that we can find elements if,true,false \in A satisfying
> 	if true x y = x, 	if false x y = y,
> and furthermore we can arrange that true = k.
> (I'll use "if then else" syntax below).
> We want to construct S such that (in A),
>      Skxkykz ~ (xkz)k(ykz), and Skxky is always defined.
> Take S to be
> 	\lambda txuyvz. if v then (xkz)k(ykz) else false
> using the usual Curry translation of lambda terms. To see that
> Skxky is always defined, note that, provably, Skxky(false)z = false.

There is a point I don't understand. If I work out Skxky, then I find
a term which contains subterms of the form xk, yk. So how can this be
defined if x or y represent nowhere defined functions?

It looks to me, that you are using a form of Combinatorial Completeness
that is not valid with the weaker S-axiom. If I am correct, one has
the following form of Combinatorial Completeness:

For every term t and variable z, there is a term \lambda z.t with the
property:

If \lambda z.t is defined, then for each a, (\lambda z.t)a ~ t[a/z]

(of course, a really correct version has more than one variable)

Best, Jaap

* Re:  Realizability and Partial Combinatory Algebras
@ 2003-02-20 16:44 jvoosten
From: jvoosten @ 2003-02-20 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Peter and John,

Peter correctly pointed out the error in my message:
the problem was in the use of the "if then .. else .." syntax,
not in any form of combinatorial completeness.

Answering John: I was using a construction of \lambda x.t where
\lambda x.M is KM whenever M is any term not containing x free
(this works just as well); so in my construction,
\lambda vz. if v then xkzk(ykz) else false
DOES contain subterms xk and yk.

Anyway, I do now believe that John's latest version is correct.
This is really very nice, and a surprise (for me, at least).
I stand corrected and must apologize for my first posting in this
discussion, casting doubt on PTJ's message.

One little point, regarding Combinatorial Completeness. I believe
the following form is valid (in the situation with the weak S-axiom):
suppose t is a term, x a variable. There is a term \lambda x.t such
that for all a,a_1,...,a_n in A:
((\lambda x.t)[a_1,...,a_n])a ~ t[a,a_1,...,a_n]
So this is just like the ordinary form, except for the assertion that
(\lambda x.t)[a_1,...,a_n] is always defined. We have that
(\lambda x.t)[a_1,...,a_n] is defined whenever for some a in A,
t[a,a_1,...,a_n] is defined.

Best, Jaap

* Re: Realizibility and Partial Combinatory Algebras
@ 2003-02-07 23:43 Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2003-02-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 jvoosten@math.uu.nl wrote:

> I think the relevance of this condition (Sxy defined) is explained in the
> Hyland-Ong paper "Modified Realizability Toposes and Strong Normalization
> Proofs" (TLCA, LNCS 664, 1993; reference 466 in the Elephant) where they
> have a definition of "c-pca" which is just omitting this requirement.
> They show that the standard P(A)-indexed preordered set, for a c-pca A,
> can fail to be a tripos. So the condition IS used.

I hope Jaap and Peter will forgive me for saying that I think they
missed the point of my message. (Perhaps it's my fault -- with hindsight,
I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I really ought to stop trying
to reply to things like this late at night -- although, as you'll see
from the header of this message, I'm doing it again.)

Of course I know about the Hyland--Ong paper: indeed, I reviewed it for
Zentralblatt. However, the point I was trying to make was that the
construction of the quasitopos of A-valued assemblies, and the proof
that its effectivization is a topos, make no use whatever of the
condition that Sxy is always defined. The fact that the tautology
((p => (q => r)) => ((p => q) => (p => r))) fails (or may fail) to
be realized by S when p is empty has no effect on this construction,
because one never has to deal with "propositions" having an empty
set of realizers. So, whilst a tripos-theorist (if such a creature
exists) may indeed have cause to worry about whether Sxy might be
undefined, there seems to be no reason why a topos-theorist should do so.

[Yes, yes, I know that I was responsible for inventing the term
"tripos", and therefore that if anyone can legitimately be called a
tripos-theorist then I can. But I don't believe that I am a
tripos-theorist (which implies that no-one is).]

Peter Johnstone