categories - Category Theory list
From: categories <cat-dist@mta.ca>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Applications for Category Theory
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:49:01 -0300 (ADT)	[thread overview]

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:13:34 -0700
From: Michael J. Healy 206-865-3123 <mjhealy@redwood.rt.cs.boeing.com>

So the question
> is: are there any attempts to map category theory
> (or type theory or set theory -- I am not sure where the boundaries are)
>
> to applications (versus theory per se), roughly analagous to Z or VDM,
> that might be comprehensible to somewhat without the formal framework?
> If not, is there a sequence of study you would recommend for proceeding?
>
> I have an undergraduate degree and have done some reading about formal
> algebra and category theory, but I am not sure of the path from the
> former to the latter, or if that is, in fact, the appropriate path. Any
> assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your
> consideration.
>
> - Dan (founder of Tazent Software)

I started a project here at The Boeing Company three years ago whose approach
is a categorical methodology for software synthesis from specifications.
We are using The Kestrel Institute's Specware system, which implements category
theory, for this purpose.  The Web site for Kestrel is http://www.kestrel.edu/, and click on Projects, then Modular Construction of Very large Knowledge
Bases.  Quite a bit is being done to translate category theory into terminology
more manageable for the non-mathematician, making Specware accessible to a
wider audience.

Please note that the description here is mine only.
I just want to share this because we have had quite a bit of
success in our project, and it has put category theory on the map in our
little corner of industry.  Our most direct application at present is for a
separate project that is developing neutral representations for knowledge-
based engineering (KBE) systems, which are seeing increasing use.  Our
specific example at present is the representation of engineering knowledge,
and the refinement of it into code, for a program that produces a kind of
airplane part design given its overall size and some sizing constraints.
The program was synthesized by first developing a colimit of specifications
of simple theories about part geometry, materials, manufacturing processes,
and a representation of real numbers.  The specifications make visible
the design and manufacturing rationale---the knowledge---that constitutes
the constraints on the specific design.  Given sizing values, the layout
for a specific design can be calculated.  The knowledge is re-usable because
of its abstract nature, the use of diagrams and colimits in several
categories to build complex specifications from simple components, and
a way of implementing functorial program construction from specifications
(or better yet, from diagrams).

A colleague and I have an initial attempt at a paper in a poster session
at the upcoming Automated Software Engineering conference (ASE`97) this
November.  We also have a paper to appear in the Journal of Intelligent
Manufacturing and an associated technical report.  A good overall background
is a paper by the original developers of the approach:

Jullig, R. and Srinivas, Y. V. (1993). Diagrams for Software Synthesis,
in  Proceedings of KBSE `93: The Eighth Knowledge-Based Software Engineering
Conference, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 10-19.

Michael J. Healy                          A
                                  FA ----------> GA
(425)865-3123                     |              |
FAX(425)865-2964                  |              |
                               Ff |              | Gf
c/o The Boeing Company            |              |
PO Box 3707  MS 7L-66            \|/            \|/
Seattle, WA 98124-2207            '              '
USA                               FB ----------> GB
                                         e            "I'm a natural man."
michael.j.healy@boeing.com                B
-or-  mjhealy@u.washington.edu