I agree. In my first-year graduate course on category theory, after I've shown that the three concepts `terminal object', `right adjoint' and `limit' are all interdefinable, I jokingly add `You might say that category-theorists have only ever had one good idea, and all we do is to keep dressing it up in new clothes'. (The `one good idea' is of course the notion of universal element, which comes from Yoneda.) But the `dressing up in new clothes' does matter: the introduction of (appropriate!) new concepts is an important aid to understanding. So I think it is `selling category theory short' to describe it as `just' the study of naturality. Peter Johnstone On Oct 29 2023, dawson wrote: >I'm with David here. > >For some purposes it is genuinely useful to know that all categorical >concepts can be reduced to "terminal object", or that the entire theory >of deterministic computation can be emulated within group theory. But >that doesn't mean that this should always be done! Mathematics is all >about knowing many ways to look at something, and choosing the right >one(s). > >"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it >into a fruit salad." > >Best to all, >Robert Dawson > > > >---------- > > You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories > mailing list group from Macquarie University. > > Leave group: > https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PLDmCNLJxkiLmR4lfmyv5q?domain=outlook.office365.com