It is with great sadness that we convey the news to the category theory community that our good friend and colleague Phil Scott passed away this morning (18th December, 2023) after a long battle with cancer. Phil’s many contributions to category theory are well known. Phil and Jim Lambek essentially invented the field of categorical proof theory with a series of papers that culminated in the book “Introduction To Higher-Order Categorical Logic”, which is still the standard text on the subject. Phil’s research went well beyond these initial works: he made major contributions to theoretical computer science, linear logic, inverse semigroup theory and recursion theory. Those of us who knew him personally will always think of him as a mentor, a friend and a genuinely kind soul. Rick Blute Robin Cockett Simon Henry You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message. View group files | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups