categories - Category Theory list
From: Paul Taylor <pt11@PaulTaylor.EU>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Subobject Classifier Algorithm
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:20:36 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

Ellis Cooper asked,

> What are the general rules for calculating the sub-object classifier
> of a topos? Or, for what class of toposes is there an algorithm for
> calculating the sub-object classifier of its members?

Thanks to Bill and Fred for describing the constructions.

I would suggest, however, that it is rather stretching the meaning
of the word "algorithm" to describe them as such.   What kind of
machine might be able to perform these operations?

A propos of this question, it is well known both to new students
of category theory and to those who like to use the subject to
discuss Life, The Universe And Everything, that:

(1)   a topos is a cartesian closed category with
(2)   an internal Heyting algebra Omega,

so ehat is the least that we have to add to these correct but
incomplete statements to give a characterisation of a topos?

Obviously I do not mean just reciting the definition of a subobject
classifier.

We should begin by strengthening these two statements:

The term "cartesian closed" is ambigious in its usage.  In computer
science, it has come to require just products (and exponentials), whereas
it seems to be implicit in older mathematical literature that all finite
limits are needed, including EQUALISERS in particular.  I therefore
replace (1) by

(1') a category with all finite limits and exponentials.

Secondly, the Heyting algebra Omega is COMPLETE: there are morphisms

       some_X: PX = Omega^X --> Omega   and   PX = all_X: Omega^X --> X

whose properties are easy to state.   So (2) becomes

(2') an object Omega with  some_X  and  all_X  for every object X.

Let's try to prove some things from this:

In order to avoid towers of exponentials, which are difficult enough
in LaTeX but quite illegible in ASCII, I will write PX for Omega^X,
but use the lambda calculus for exponentials.

Since Omega is a Heyting algebra it also has an internal equality:

        equals_Omega : Omega x Omega --> Omega

Using completeness, we can define an equality for all objects:

        equals_X : X x X --> Omega

where   equals_X (x, y)  is

        all_PX (lambda phi:PX.  equals_Omega(phi x, phi y)

so that a morphism   i:X-->Y  is mono iff

        equals_Y (i x, i x')   =   equals_X (x, x').

Given such a mono we can also define    I : PX --> PY  by

        I phi == lambda y. some_X (lambda x. phi x /\  equals_Y (i x, y))

and I would like to show that     I phi (i x) = i x.

However, to do this we need another assumption, the Frobenius law
for  some_X, specifically

        some x'X.  (phi x /\ x=x')    ==    phi x  /\  some x'.x=x'

where I have replaced the earlier notation with a friendlier one.

Instead of asserting the Frobenius law, I prefer a more general
property of Omega itself that I call the EUCLIDEAN PRINCIPLE:

(3)     omega  /\  F (omega)  ==  omega /\ F (T)

for all  omega:Omega  and  F:Omega^Omega,  which is to be interpreted
in either the lambda calculus or using generalised elements, ie

        omega : X --> Omega    and    F : X x Omega --> Omega.

We're not quite there.  None of the operations that we have introduced
so far yields elements of a general type  X.  So the final hypothesis is

(4)    every object  X   is SOBER

by which I mean that the diagram   X ->> PPX  ==>  PPPP X  involving
units of the monad  (PP, eta, mu = P eta P)   is an equaliser, or

(4')   every object X  admits definition by description.

Under these hypotheses, any mono i:X-->Y is uniquely classified
by some psi:Y-->Omega  and the category is a topos.

More detail of these ideas is to be found in my papers

     geohol:  Geometric and Higher Order Logic   (TAC 2000)
     foufct:  Foundations for Computable Topology
              (shortly to appear in a collection of papers about
              foundations of mathematics edited by Giovanni Sommaruga)
     equitop: Equideductive Topology  (see my previous posting)

all of which are available from my website

     www.PaulTaylor.EU/ASD/

followed by the acronym above.

Paul