Dear all, I was absolutely devastated to learn about Marek's passing two days ago. I benefited immensely from his kindness, patience, and generosity, certainly more than would be my fair share. He has been a profound influence in my life, having shaped both who I am as a mathematician and as a person. I looked up to him for guidance on how to be a good researcher, an engaging teacher, and a generous supervisor. As any of the thousands of students he taught would tell you, Marek's signature was his real life analogies for even the most abstract mathematical concepts, many of which I have since adopted in my teaching. In a first year introduction to proofs course, he would explain how the operation of taking the image preserves unions because it has a "right friend." He was always funny in what seemed to be an effortless way. Although our mathematical paths diverged in recent years, we stayed in touch and he would invite me over whenever I was able to visit Europe. The two of us would spend hours in his apartment in Warsaw discussing pretty much any imaginable topic from the historical development of categorical logic to Canadian politics (which, as I learned from him, is far more interesting than it seems!). Marek's premature death is a great loss: of an outstanding mathematician and simply a force for good in the world. He will be missed. Best, Chris On 2024-03-05 7:57 p.m., Ryszard Paweł Kostecki wrote: > With a great sadness and a feeling of a heartbreaking premature loss I > let the categorical community know that Marek Zawadowski has passed away > on Sunday, 3 March 2024. > > The funeral will take place in Warszawa, on Monday, 11 March 2024. > (More detailed information is available here: > https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/fVcnCP7L1NfYqQYJTzZxO5?domain=klepsydry.kupamieci.pl) > . > > I will miss very much his kind presence, sense of humour, and approach > to many things -- in research, and in life. And I will always remain > grateful for his mentorship, which has opened my mind to mathematics. > > Here is a photo of Marek from 87th PSSL at Patras (in April 2008): > https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/2R_5CRONg6s98N9yuP3bIV?domain=fuw.edu.pl > > and a photo of him, walking the path with André Joyal: > https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/LCAtCVARmOHr1MrzTJeNBT?domain=fuw.edu.pl > > > Ryszard Kostecki > > You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories > mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this > conversation, reply all to this message. > View group files > | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups >