categories - Category Theory list
From: carlos@picard.ups-tlse.fr (Carlos Simpson)
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: cogenerator in omegaCat ?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:47:13 GMT	[thread overview]

  I (try to, at least...) treat this question for weak $n$-categories in
my preprint ``Limits in $n$-categories'', available on the xxx preprint
server as alg-geom 9708010. If I understand correctly, the set-theoretical
problem you raise is the same as the one encountered in section 5 of my
preprint.

The conclusion is that the (weak) $n+1$-category $nCAT$ is closed under
direct limits.

  It seems that coproducts of strict $n$-categories, if they exist,
cannot actually be the ``right'' ones because in that case, every weak
$n$-category would be equivalent to a strict one. I haven't made this
argument rigorous, though.

---Carlos Simpson

PS what is a ``comma category'' or ``comma object''?