List for cgit developers and users
* REQUEST: better install support/documentation
@ 2011-08-30 19:10 me
From: me @ 2011-08-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I very much want to use your software, but, I have too much trouble
installing it.

the purpose of a Makefile is to alleviate the stress of configuration,
if there needs to be an appropriate .htaccess file generated, can you
please automate this, instead of vaguely instructing us what needs to
be done in a README, or at least, be a bit more detailed about what
needs to be done.

Also, the install process assumes root and installation in some root
directory, most people hosting websites use shared hosts, without root
access. can you make it so that I can point the makefile at a
directory (like the directory where files for git.foobar.com) and
maybe a /home/cgit directory, where any configuration files or
repositories might live?

since you clearly seem to know how to set this up, it would be nice if
you could give us, those who want to use your software, some help.

thanks for all your help, and I really like CGIT,

-rhl

* REQUEST: better install support/documentation
@ 2011-08-31  9:14 ` cgit
From: cgit @ 2011-08-31  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:10:14PM -0400, Ryan Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I very much want to use your software, but, I have too much trouble
> installing it.
>
> the purpose of a Makefile is to alleviate the stress of configuration,
> if there needs to be an appropriate .htaccess file generated, can you
> please automate this, instead of vaguely instructing us what needs to
> be done in a README, or at least, be a bit more detailed about what
> needs to be done.

-1 to creating a ".htaccess" file automatically. The configuration
changes needed heavily depend on the type of web server that is used and
the general setup. We should not make assumptions. A good administrator
should know what to do.

Agreed that documentation isn't perfect. Feel free to submit a patch.

> Also, the install process assumes root and installation in some root
> directory, most people hosting websites use shared hosts, without root
> access. can you make it so that I can point the makefile at a
> directory (like the directory where files for git.foobar.com) and
> maybe a /home/cgit directory, where any configuration files or
> repositories might live?

Use "DESTDIR" to specify any non-standard root directory (this is pretty
standard). Use "CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH" to specify an alternate patch to put
the CGI files into.

  $ make CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH=/bar DESTDIR=/foo install

... to install them to "/foo/bar", for example.

@ 2011-09-01 16:51 ` me
From: me @ 2011-09-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

sorry I am not on the list.

I've used this:

make CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH= DESTDIR=/home/rhl/webapps/cgit install

please explain where the default cgitrc file is installed to (because
it looks like the makefile does not install one), OR tell me where the
default location to put it is, but it is totally unclear.

I don't have root access to /etc would be bad.

And I can't submit a patch for documentation if I don't know what I am
doing myself.

-rhl

@ 2011-09-02  9:04   ` cgit
From: cgit @ 2011-09-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 12:51:36PM -0400, Ryan Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry I am not on the list.
>
> I've used this:
>
> make CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH= DESTDIR=/home/rhl/webapps/cgit install
>
> please explain where the default cgitrc file is installed to (because
> it looks like the makefile does not install one), OR tell me where the
> default location to put it is, but it is totally unclear.

Correct, you will need to create a config file yourself. Looking at the
Makefile, the default location is "/etc/cgitrc" and you can override
that using the "CGIT_CONFIG" variable.

> I don't have root access to /etc would be bad.
>

> And I can't submit a patch for documentation if I don't know what I am
> doing myself.

RTFM (read the fine Makefile) :)