List for cgit developers and users
* Branch Age Sorting and Idle Most Recent Sorting [Was: Re: Today is a big day for us]
@ 2013-03-06  0:29 Jason
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason @ 2013-03-06  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon at kernel.org> wrote:
>> In gitweb branches (...repo.git/refs/heads) were sorted by modification time,
>> which was very convenient. I don't see such option in cgit. Is it possible to
>> restore this functionality?
>>
>> It seems to me that the "Idle" column in global view reflects the last
>> change on master branch of a given repository, but most of the development
>> is happening on other branches, so this doesn't give any good overview
>> about how alive the repository is. gitweb was always showing the time
>> elapsed from latest modification on any of the branches in the repository.

These are both worthwhile tweaks. I'll implement these this week or next.

* Branch Age Sorting and Idle Most Recent Sorting [Was: Re: Today is a big day for us]
@ 2013-03-06  6:24 ` hjemli
       [not found] ` <5136A26A.1060303@kernel.org>
From: hjemli @ 2013-03-06  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon at kernel.org> wrote:
>>> It seems to me that the "Idle" column in global view reflects the last
>>> change on master branch of a given repository, but most of the development
>>> is happening on other branches, so this doesn't give any good overview
>>> about how alive the repository is. gitweb was always showing the time
>>> elapsed from latest modification on any of the branches in the repository.

To make cgits idle-time appear similar to gitwebs, one can use the
'agefile' (http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/cgitrc.5.txt#n36) combined
with a git hook in each repository.

As an example, here is the post-receive hook installed in the cgit
repo on hjemli.net:

  #!/bin/sh

  cd /pub/git/cgit
  git for-each-ref --sort=-authordate --format='%(authordate:iso8601)'
--count=1 >info/touched

By doing it this way, the loading of the index page is a much cheaper
operation (which is especially important on a heavily used site like
kernel.org).

--
larsh

@ 2013-03-20 20:00   ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-03-20 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon at kernel.org> wrote:
> That's excellent! Thanks very much -- I look forward to testing that out.

Hey Konstantin,

Just letting you know, I haven't forgotten about this request.

Jason

* Branch Age Sorting and Idle Most Recent Sorting [Was: Re: Today is a big day for us]
@ 2013-03-20 20:13     ` john
From: john @ 2013-03-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:00:00PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon at kernel.org> wrote:
> > That's excellent! Thanks very much -- I look forward to testing that out.
>
> Just letting you know, I haven't forgotten about this request.

What do you think about introducing a "compat" directory in CGit that
could include things like Lars' post-receive script from the parallel
thread?

With the documentation tweaked to point at that it might make things
more discoverable.

@ 2013-04-08 15:09 ` Jason
       [not found]   ` <20130408151701.GA2674@gmail.com>
From: Jason @ 2013-04-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon at kernel.org> wrote:
>>> In gitweb branches (...repo.git/refs/heads) were sorted by modification time,
>>> which was very convenient. I don't see such option in cgit. Is it possible to
>>> restore this functionality?

This is being implemented inside the jd/branch-sort branch, and should
land in the next version of cgit. Sorry for the delay in getting this
done.

http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/commit/?h=jd/branch-sort

* Branch Age Sorting and Idle Most Recent Sorting [Was: Re: Today is a big day for us]
@ 2013-04-08 15:10       ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-04-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM, John Keeping <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
> What do you think about introducing a "compat" directory in CGit that
> could include things like Lars' post-receive script from the parallel
> thread?
>
> With the documentation tweaked to point at that it might make things
> more discoverable.

I would very much welcome this. "contrib", perhaps, is a better name for it.

* Branch Age Sorting and Idle Most Recent Sorting [Was: Re: Today is a big day for us]
@ 2013-04-08 17:44         ` john
From: john @ 2013-04-08 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 05:10:14PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM, John Keeping <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
> > What do you think about introducing a "compat" directory in CGit that
> > could include things like Lars' post-receive script from the parallel
> > thread?
> >
> > With the documentation tweaked to point at that it might make things
> > more discoverable.
>

> I would very much welcome this. "contrib", perhaps, is a better name for it.

I'm sure I wrote "contrib", I wonder how it managed to come out as
"compat"? :-S

You're completely correct that "contrib" is the right name.

@ 2013-04-10 12:53     ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-04-10 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon at kernel.org> wrote:
> Awesome, good to hear that.

Merged to master. Let me know how it goes.