List for cgit developers and users
* Avoiding virtual-root with Nginx
@ 2019-01-06  2:02 hi
From: hi @ 2019-01-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

cgitrc(5) says

> NOTE: cgit has recently learned how to use PATH_INFO to achieve the
> same kind of virtual urls, so this option will probably be deprecated.

With this in mind, I've been trying and failing to set up CGit with
Nginx without using virtual-root. By default, CGit will generate links
starting with /cgit.cgi/, rather than just /, but I can set virtual-root
to / to get the behaviour I want. I've found vague mentions online of
Nginx's PATH_INFO format not being compatible with CGit, so my question
is: is this a bug in CGit, or is there something I should be doing
differently with Nginx?

Given that the quoted note is at least ten years old, I'm not worried
about it suddenly disappearing, but I'd still like to be sure I'm doing
things properly.

Alyssa Ross
hi at alyssa.is
> With this in mind, I've been trying and failing to set up CGit with
> Nginx without using virtual-root. By default, CGit will generate links
> starting with /cgit.cgi/, rather than just /, but I can set
> virtual-root to / to get the behaviour I want. I've found vague
> mentions online of Nginx's PATH_INFO format not being compatible with
> CGit, so my question is: is this a bug in CGit, or is there something
> I should be doing differently with Nginx?
>
> Given that the quoted note is at least ten years old, I'm not worried
> about it suddenly disappearing, but I'd still like to be sure I'm
> doing things properly.

How do you serve the cgi code? I'm using uwsgi and Nginx, and could send
you the configs, in case that's of interest to you.

Cheers,
Georg
> I'm using uwsgi and Nginx, and could send
> you the configs, in case that's of interest to you.

For what it?s worth, a working config is also documented on the Arch Wiki [1].

[1] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cgit#Using_uwsgi

--
Daniel Moch
daniel at danielmoch.com