List for cgit developers and users
* Help with installing cgit
@ 2013-12-29  8:46 shlomit.afgin
From: shlomit.afgin @ 2013-12-29  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I download from http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/refs/  the file cgit-0.9.2.tar.xz
I follow the instruction in README:
     make get-git
     make
     make install
     Edit Apache conf file and add
        <Directory "/var/www/htdocs/cgit/">
          AllowOverride None
          Options +ExecCGI
          Order allow,deny
          Allow from all
        </Directory>
     I also add alias:
        Alias /cgit  /var/www/htdocs/cgit/

When I go to http://server.domain/cgit I get the following error:
    You don't have permission to access /cgit/ on this server
    And In the error_log I get:
        Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/htdocs/cgit/
I tried to add to 'Options' the +Indexes, So I get the list of the content but the cgit did not work.

Also I did not find instruction, how to set the file cgit.conf in order to change the place of cgit files location.
What I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
Shlomit.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Help with installing cgit
@ 2013-12-29 10:18 ` john
From: john @ 2013-12-29 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 08:46:37AM +0000, Shlomit Afgin wrote:
> I download from http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/refs/  the file cgit-0.9.2.tar.xz
> I follow the instruction in README:
>      make get-git
>      make
>      make install
>      Edit Apache conf file and add
>         <Directory "/var/www/htdocs/cgit/">
>           AllowOverride None
>           Options +ExecCGI
>           Order allow,deny
>           Allow from all
>         </Directory>
>      I also add alias:
>         Alias /cgit  /var/www/htdocs/cgit/
>
> When I go to http://server.domain/cgit I get the following error:
>     You don't have permission to access /cgit/ on this server
>     And In the error_log I get:
>         Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/htdocs/cgit/
> I tried to add to 'Options' the +Indexes, So I get the list of the
> content but the cgit did not work.

The "cgit" program is a CGI executable that you need to run.  Do you
have "cgit" in /var/www/htdocs/cgit/ ?  If so, what happens if you go to
http://your.domain/cgit/cgit ?

I have the following in my Apache config for CGit:

    <Location /cgit>
            RewriteEngine on
            RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
            RewriteRule ^/var/www/localhost/htdocs/cgit(.*) /cgi-bin/cgit.cgi$1 [L,PT]
    </Location>

This rewrites all requests under /cgit to go to the "cgit" program in
/cgi-bin/.

There is some more information on Apache's CGI support here [1].

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/cgi.html

> Also I did not find instruction, how to set the file cgit.conf in
> order to change the place of cgit files location.

You can either specify CGIT_CONFIG in the environment under which CGit
runs (e.g. using Apache's "SetEnv" directive) or just change the default
when you build CGit by setting CGIT_CONFIG in the "cgit.conf" file
that's included by the makefile.

Hope this helps,
John

* Help with installing cgit
@ 2013-12-29 10:37   ` shlomit.afgin
From: shlomit.afgin @ 2013-12-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have /var/www/htdocs/cgit/cgit.cgi and when I go to
http://server.domain/cgit/cgit.cgi,
It try to open the file (and as where to save it) instead of run it.
My /cgi-bin is empty
Thanks,

* Help with installing cgit
@ 2013-12-29 12:02     ` john
From: john @ 2013-12-29 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[administrivia: please don't top post.]

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:37:00AM +0000, Shlomit Afgin wrote:
> On 12/29/13 12:18 PM, "John Keeping" <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 08:46:37AM +0000, Shlomit Afgin wrote:
> >> I download from http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/refs/  the file
> >>cgit-0.9.2.tar.xz
> >> I follow the instruction in README:
> >>      make get-git
> >>      make
> >>      make install
> >>      Edit Apache conf file and add
> >>         <Directory "/var/www/htdocs/cgit/">
> >>           AllowOverride None
> >>           Options +ExecCGI
> >>           Order allow,deny
> >>           Allow from all
> >>         </Directory>
> >>      I also add alias:
> >>         Alias /cgit  /var/www/htdocs/cgit/
> >>
> >> When I go to http://server.domain/cgit I get the following error:
> >>     You don't have permission to access /cgit/ on this server
> >>     And In the error_log I get:
> >>         Directory index forbidden by Options directive:
> >>/var/www/htdocs/cgit/
> >> I tried to add to 'Options' the +Indexes, So I get the list of the
> >> content but the cgit did not work.
> >
> >The "cgit" program is a CGI executable that you need to run.  Do you
> >have "cgit" in /var/www/htdocs/cgit/ ?  If so, what happens if you go to
> >http://your.domain/cgit/cgit ?
> >
> >I have the following in my Apache config for CGit:
> >
> >    <Location /cgit>
> >            RewriteEngine on
> >            RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> >            RewriteRule ^/var/www/localhost/htdocs/cgit(.*)
> >/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi$1 [L,PT]
> >    </Location>
> >
> >This rewrites all requests under /cgit to go to the "cgit" program in
> >/cgi-bin/.
>
> I have /var/www/htdocs/cgit/cgit.cgi and when I go to
> http://server.domain/cgit/cgit.cgi,
> It try to open the file (and as where to save it) instead of run it.

Do you have a suitable "AddHandler" directive?  The link I gave below
has a section on how to use ExecCGI and says you will need something
like this:

    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

@ 2013-12-29 14:00       ` shlomit.afgin
From: shlomit.afgin @ 2013-12-29 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry, I did not had the 'Addhandler'.
Now I get a web page, but when I click on the link I get a regular browse
of the directory in the web.
I cannot see the files exist in the repository.

Thanks.

Now I get the page on the web but it look like regular browse of directory
it

@ 2013-12-29 15:13         ` john
From: john @ 2013-12-29 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 02:00:56PM +0000, Shlomit Afgin wrote:
> On 12/29/13 2:02 PM, "John Keeping" <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
>
> >[administrivia: please don't top post.]

> >> I have /var/www/htdocs/cgit/cgit.cgi and when I go to
> >> http://server.domain/cgit/cgit.cgi,
> >> It try to open the file (and as where to save it) instead of run it.
> >
> >Do you have a suitable "AddHandler" directive?  The link I gave below
> >has a section on how to use ExecCGI and says you will need something
> >like this:
> >
> >    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

> I'm sorry, I did not had the 'Addhandler'.
> Now I get a web page, but when I click on the link I get a regular browse
> of the directory in the web.
> I cannot see the files exist in the repository.

Sorry, I'm not an expert on configuring Apache.  I recommend you read
the CGI tutorial linked above thoroughly.

Do you have CGit's "virtual-root" configuration turned on?  It will
probably be simpler to disable that.

* Help with installing cgit
@ 2013-12-30  6:36           ` shlomit.afgin
From: shlomit.afgin @ 2013-12-30  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/29/13 5:13 PM, "John Keeping" <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 02:00:56PM +0000, Shlomit Afgin wrote:
>> On 12/29/13 2:02 PM, "John Keeping" <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >[administrivia: please don't top post.]

>>go

>>in

>> >Do you have a suitable "AddHandler" directive?  The link I gave below
>> >has a section on how to use ExecCGI and says you will need something
>> >like this:
>> >
>> >    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

>> I'm sorry, I did not had the 'Addhandler'.
>> Now I get a web page, but when I click on the link I get a regular
>>browse
>> of the directory in the web.
>> I cannot see the files exist in the repository.
>
>Sorry, I'm not an expert on configuring Apache.  I recommend you read
>the CGI tutorial linked above thoroughly.
>
>Do you have CGit's "virtual-root" configuration turned on?  It will
>probably be simpler to disable that.

Thank you very much!
I comment the "virtual-root" line and now it's seem to work.
Thanks.