List for cgit developers and users
* cgi programming
@ 2012-02-08  5:26 engelster
From: engelster @ 2012-02-08  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, just came across cgit, nice project!, just wondering if people
here can give me some tips for learning programming with CGi and C,
already studied C, going to be developing web GUIs for some embedded
system with a friend/student.

Thanks,

* cgi programming
@ 2012-02-08 14:40 ` jamie.couture
From: jamie.couture @ 2012-02-08 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest reading and understanding
more about the application layer, http protocol [1]. Either in dry, RFC
form, or perhaps reading Writing Apache Modules [2], though your milage may
vary.

Not to force you to use apache, there are alternatives - choose one and
stick with it; however, the point is to understand http, and what you need
to do for your program to _work_ [3].  Since you're looking to work on an
embedded device you'll probably be looking into something else as a server.

Your frontend - web GUI - is secondary.  Writing html can be done outside
of your application, as a mock document to get you started and quickly
build the look and feel you want.  You later integrate that mock into your
actual CGI program.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616
[2] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565925670.do
[3] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/cgi.html#writing

Other people may have better resources to get you started, but that is
where I would start - thinking back to my student days.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Der Engel <engelster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, just came across cgit, nice project!, just wondering if people
> here can give me some tips for learning programming with CGi and C,
> already studied C, going to be developing web GUIs for some embedded
> system with a friend/student.
>
> Thanks,

* cgi programming
@ 2012-02-08 22:15   ` engelster
From: engelster @ 2012-02-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Jamie, going to start with learning the HTTP protocol.