List for cgit developers and users
* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 14:21 stefan.naewe
From: stefan.naewe @ 2013-01-15 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject says it.

Is there any mirror ?
(There should be at least one, IMHO. Github? Bitbucket ?)

Stefan
python -c "print '73746566616e2e6e6165776540676d61696c2e636f6d'.decode('hex')"

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 15:36 ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-01-15 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Should be up right now.

I've had so much traffic this last week it's been a bit spotty. My hosting
provider just switched up my situation so it should be a bit more
responsive now.

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 15:40   ` stefan.naewe
From: stefan.naewe @ 2013-01-15 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems to be OK again.

Any thoughts about the 'mirror situation' ?

Stefan

@ 2013-01-15 15:48     ` mailings
From: mailings @ 2013-01-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

how about hosting the repo on github?

--
Ferry Huberts

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 15:57       ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-01-15 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Ferry Huberts <mailings at hupie.com> wrote:

> how about hosting the repo on github?
>

> On 15/01/13 16:40, Stefan Naewe wrote:
>
>> Seems to be OK again.
>>
>> Any thoughts about the 'mirror situation' ?

Everything on git.zx2c4.com is mirrored to the zx2c4 account on github at
all times.

But github should by no means become a primary place for the repo. I don't
take pull requests.

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 15:58       ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-01-15 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Ferry Huberts <mailings at hupie.com> wrote:

> how about hosting the repo on github?

Also, this is for the cgit project...

Things are staying on git.zx2c4.com.

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 16:02         ` stefan.naewe
From: stefan.naewe @ 2013-01-15 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Ferry Huberts <mailings at hupie.com> wrote:
>>
>> how about hosting the repo on github?
>>

>>> Any thoughts about the 'mirror situation' ?
>>>

> Everything on git.zx2c4.com is mirrored to the zx2c4 account on github at
> all times.

OK. Good to know.

> But github should by no means become a primary place for the repo. I don't
> take pull requests.

Why not ?

@ 2013-01-15 16:15           ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-01-15 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com>wrote:

> > But github should by no means become a primary place for the repo. I
> don't
> > take pull requests.
>
> Why not ?

Because that is not the purpose of cgit.

I will not argue this; it is not up for debate. Please don't bother
replying to this email.

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 19:15             ` stefan.naewe
From: stefan.naewe @ 2013-01-15 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > But github should by no means become a primary place for the repo. I
>> > don't take pull requests.
>>
>> Why not ?
>

> Because that is not the purpose of cgit.

What is not the purpose of cgit ?
Being maintained by pull requests from github ?
I really don't understand what you are talking about here.

> I will not argue this; it is not up for debate. Please don't bother replying
> to this email.

Am I the only one who thinks that this doesn't sound too friendly ?

Im a little bit puzzled about Jason's reaction.

@ 2013-01-15 20:14               ` jamie.couture
From: jamie.couture @ 2013-01-15 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com>
> wrote:

> >> Why not ?
> >

> > Because that is not the purpose of cgit.
>
> What is not the purpose of cgit ?
> Being maintained by pull requests from github ?
> I really don't understand what you are talking about here.
>
> > I will not argue this; it is not up for debate. Please don't bother
> replying
> > to this email.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that this doesn't sound too friendly ?
>
> Im a little bit puzzled about Jason's reaction.
>
> Not really.  cgit is maintained by a patch-based workflow.  I don't blame
him for choosing to keep this workflow.  I would prefer to submit patches,
and discuss them on the mailing list.

> Stefan
> --

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 20:22               `
From:  @ 2013-01-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> What is not the purpose of cgit ?
> Being maintained by pull requests from github ?
> I really don't understand what you are talking about here.

It wouldn't make sense to use github as a web-interface for the cgit
project because the sole purpose of cgit is already to provide a web
interface for git repositories. So if you host everything at github,
there's no reason for cgit to exist anymore.

> Am I the only one who thinks that this doesn't sound too friendly ?
>
> Im a little bit puzzled about Jason's reaction.

Yes, you are the only one. This whole github-is-the-best hipster
attitude is getting on my nerves.

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 20:35                 ` stefan.naewe
From: stefan.naewe @ 2013-01-15 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM, D?en <yvldwt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> What is not the purpose of cgit ?
>> Being maintained by pull requests from github ?
>> I really don't understand what you are talking about here.
>
> It wouldn't make sense to use github as a web-interface for the cgit
> project because the sole purpose of cgit is already to provide a web
> interface for git repositories. So if you host everything at github,
> there's no reason for cgit to exist anymore.

Yeah, right. Because I can easily install 'github' on the server at $WORK
for our internal projects....

>> Am I the only one who thinks that this doesn't sound too friendly ?
>>
>> Im a little bit puzzled about Jason's reaction.
>
> Yes, you are the only one. This whole github-is-the-best hipster
> attitude is getting on my nerves.

Did I say: This project needs to be switched over to github because github is
so cool these days ? I think not.

I just wanted to know why Jason doesn't want to take pull requests from github
and what he means by "...not the purpose of cgit".

I still find his reaction a little bit harsh (if that's the right word).

@ 2013-01-15 21:03                   ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2013-01-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Let's end this discussion before it turns into cgit mailinglist's
first ever flamewar. That would be a good thing to do.

Stefan, thanks for your input. Jamie and Dzen, thanks too for yours --
I think you guys are right. The mailing list patch model of cgit works
well, most of us all seem to like it, and I have no intentions on
changing how we operate.

Further, dog-fooding is a good thing: if there's a shortcoming in cgit
that makes it inadequate for development of cgit, well, then we've got
our work cut out for us. But things have been working very well (I
think), and I like the community and processes Lars began. I do not
plan to change these in the immediate future.

Finally, thanks for the email about the downtime. There were indeed a
few moments of downtime as hosting records were updated to juice up my
server, and I don't anticipate there'll be significant downtime in the
future.

Ending this discussion before the flames begin would be a Good Thing
To Do (tm). I sincerely hope this message is the last of the thread,
and I'd encourage others not to really entertain it any further.

Jason

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 21:19                     ` webmaster
From: webmaster @ 2013-01-15 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason,

Many thanks for assuming leadership of the project.  cGit is great and
it's the Git front-end of choice here at Eclipse.

Healthy discussion is a sign of a healthy community.  Folks asked
questions and they were shot down really quick.  Had the email below
been presented several hours earlier, there would have been no need for
follow-up questions since your position is quite clear.

Again, many thanks to you personally for your hard work on cGit, and to
everyone who contributes.  I hope the project continues to prosper as an
active community of involved users and developers who are all open to
discussion and to new ideas.

Denis

On 01/15/2013 04:03 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let's end this discussion before it turns into cgit mailinglist's
> first ever flamewar. That would be a good thing to do.
>
> Stefan, thanks for your input. Jamie and Dzen, thanks too for yours --
> I think you guys are right. The mailing list patch model of cgit works
> well, most of us all seem to like it, and I have no intentions on
> changing how we operate.
>
> Further, dog-fooding is a good thing: if there's a shortcoming in cgit
> that makes it inadequate for development of cgit, well, then we've got
> our work cut out for us. But things have been working very well (I
> think), and I like the community and processes Lars began. I do not
> plan to change these in the immediate future.
>
> Finally, thanks for the email about the downtime. There were indeed a
> few moments of downtime as hosting records were updated to juice up my
> server, and I don't anticipate there'll be significant downtime in the
> future.
>
> Ending this discussion before the flames begin would be a Good Thing
> To Do (tm). I sincerely hope this message is the last of the thread,
> and I'd encourage others not to really entertain it any further.
>
> Jason

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 21:26                 ` mailings
From: mailings @ 2013-01-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15/01/13 21:22, D?en wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> What is not the purpose of cgit ?
>> Being maintained by pull requests from github ?
>> I really don't understand what you are talking about here.
>
> It wouldn't make sense to use github as a web-interface for the cgit
> project because the sole purpose of cgit is already to provide a web
> interface for git repositories. So if you host everything at github,
> there's no reason for cgit to exist anymore.
>
>> Am I the only one who thinks that this doesn't sound too friendly ?
>>
>> Im a little bit puzzled about Jason's reaction.
>
> Yes, you are the only one. This whole github-is-the-best hipster
> attitude is getting on my nerves.

Who said anything about that?

Me, I didn't even imply it.
I implied that it has better uptime and less bandwidth limits.
That's all

--
Ferry Huberts

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 21:55                   `
From:  @ 2013-01-15 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Ferry Huberts <mailings at hupie.com> wrote:
[...]
> Who said anything about that?
>
> Me, I didn't even imply it.
> I implied that it has better uptime and less bandwidth limits.
> That's all

I guess I wasn't specific enough, sorry for that. I don't mind
creating a mirror of cgit on github as a backup, if people *really*
consider it necessary. However, I disagree with only using github for
everything (code hosting, discussions etc.). In my point of view
there's nothing wrong with the mailing list and how things have been
until now. It's just that to me it seems that a lot of people (in
other mailing lists) get overexcited regarding github, everybody wants
to move over there. I guess I just misinterpreted your and Stefan's
message.

Thank you Jason for sharing your opinion on the whole thing. I think
in the end we can all agree with each other.

* git.zx2c4.com down ?
@ 2013-01-15 22:02                     ` mailings
From: mailings @ 2013-01-15 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15/01/13 22:55, D?en wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Ferry Huberts <mailings at hupie.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Who said anything about that?
>>
>> Me, I didn't even imply it.
>> I implied that it has better uptime and less bandwidth limits.
>> That's all
>
> I guess I wasn't specific enough, sorry for that. I don't mind
> creating a mirror of cgit on github as a backup, if people *really*
> consider it necessary. However, I disagree with only using github for
> everything (code hosting, discussions etc.). In my point of view
> there's nothing wrong with the mailing list and how things have been
> until now. It's just that to me it seems that a lot of people (in
> other mailing lists) get overexcited regarding github, everybody wants
> to move over there. I guess I just misinterpreted your and Stefan's
> message.

You talk like you've been contributing to cgit on a regular basis, but
somehow I am unable to find your email address in any of the commits...

@ 2013-01-15 23:55 ` normalperson
From: normalperson @ 2013-01-15 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Naewe <stefan.naewe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Subject says it.
>
> Is there any mirror ?

Btw, I've updated my mirror to point to Jason's archive, now:

  git://bogomips.org/mirrors/cgit.git
  http://bogomips.org/mirrors/cgit.git (cgit :)

> (There should be at least one, IMHO. Github? Bitbucket ?)

I completely agree with Jason on this matter (except I wouldn't even
maintain mirrors on those services, I use repo.or.cz for that).

Fwiw, I believe anybody capable of hosting a mirror themselves
_should_ host one.