List for cgit developers and users
* Missing dependency
@ 2014-01-17 19:08
From:  @ 2014-01-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

You should add pkg-config to the list of dependencies in the README. It is
required if you want to build with Lua support. Also, it might be a good
idea to check for pkg-config presence in the Makefile. For example, if you
try

  > make LUA_IMPLEMENTATION=JIT

with LuaJIT installed and pkg-config not installed, the error message will
be

  LuaJIT specified via LUA_IMPLEMENTATION=JIT, but library could not be
found.

which is misleading.

Thanks,
--
F?lix C. Morency, M.Sc.
Plateforme d?analyse et de visualisation d?images

* Missing dependency
@ 2014-01-17 22:36 ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2014-01-17 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM, F?lix C. Morency
<felix.morency at gmail.com> wrote:
> You should add pkg-config to the list of dependencies in the README. It is
> required if you want to build with Lua support. Also, it might be a good
> idea to check for pkg-config presence in the Makefile.

Thanks for the report; this is a good idea.

Do you have any ideas on a fallback, for when pkg-config isn't
available? I know for LUA_IMPLEMENTATION=VANILLA, we can probably just
add a -llua to LIBS, but it's not as straight forward for
LUA_IMPLEMENTATION=JIT. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Jason

* Missing dependency
@ 2014-01-20 15:07   `
From:  @ 2014-01-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason,

I'm no Makefile expert, but a solution ? la CMake involves checking for the
library/header existence in common library/header location (/usr/...,
/usr/local/..., etc). If the library is found, we use it, otherwise, we
prompt a relevant error message. CMake has its own Find* mechanism; isn't
the autotools ./configure exactly for that purpose?

HTH,
-F