List for cgit developers and users
* What does the value of the size column for folders represent?
@ 2022-02-20 16:17 jean-christophe manciot
From: jean-christophe manciot @ 2022-02-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgit

Hi there,
The value shown for files is as expected the ... exact size of the
files in bytes.
But I cannot make sense of that value for folders.

Here is an example at https://git.sdxlive.com/PPA/tree/Ubuntu/pool/stable/l
- linux-signed folder has the size '5267'
- its contents total size is ~ 302 MB (as shown by du on a cloned repository)
- it contains 62 files

Is this an issue or is the cgit size showing something else for folders?
--
Jean-Christophe

* Re: What does the value of the size column for folders represent?
@ 2022-02-20 16:31 ` june
From: june @ 2022-02-20 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean-christophe manciot; +Cc: cgit

> On Feb 20, 2022, at 11:17, jean-christophe manciot <actionmystique@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
> The value shown for files is as expected the ... exact size of the
> files in bytes.
> But I cannot make sense of that value for folders.
>
> Here is an example at https://git.sdxlive.com/PPA/tree/Ubuntu/pool/stable/l
> - linux-signed folder has the size '5267'
> - its contents total size is ~ 302 MB (as shown by du on a cloned repository)
> - it contains 62 files
>
> Is this an issue or is the cgit size showing something else for folders?

It is showing the size of the tree object[1] in git. This command
should show the same size:

$ git cat-file tree master^{tree}:Ubuntu/pool/stable/l/linux-signed | wc -c

[1]: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Git-Objects#_tree_objects