List for cgit developers and users
* OpenBSD - Error reading owner-info for <REPOPATH>: No such file or directory (2)
@ 2021-02-25  7:00 Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2021-02-25  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgit

Hello,

I'm running cgit v1.2.3 on OpenBSD 6.8 with httpd and slowcgi. I'm
getting tons of log errors in the form:
     Error reading owner-info for <REPOPATH>: No such file or directory
(2)

I've found this Stack Overflow question
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48450631/ which suggests that the
problem is with the call to getpwuid trying to access /etc/passwd:

     if ((pwd = getpwuid(st.st_uid)) == NULL) {
	    fprintf(stderr, "Error reading owner-info for %s: %s (%d)\n",
		    path->buf, strerror(errno), errno);
	    break;
     }

@ https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/scan-tree.c#n139

On OpenBSD, httpd runs in a chroot at /var/www, which would seem to
suggest why cgit would not be able to access /etc/passwd

In my cgitrc I have
     enable-git-config=0
     enable-index-owner=0
so that doesn't help.

Is there any way to prevent all these error logs? Currently this fills
up a log file about once an hour...

Thanks!

--
Paul W. Rankin
https://bydasein.com

The single best thing you can do for the world is delete your social
media accounts.