Computer Old Farts Forum
From: amp1ron at gmail.com (amp1ron at gmail.com)
Subject: [COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 23:43:43 -0500	[thread overview]

I searched for files on saildart that include the text SRI-ARC .  The oldest one I can find is file NET.SYS dated 1973-04-08: https://www.saildart.org/NAMES[NET,SYS]4

It appears to be an older version of the 1974-04-04 file I mentioned in my previous message.

My apologies for top-posting.  I'll stop posting now as I don’t have any ideas for finding hosts files older than that one.

Cc: coff at minnie.tuhs.org

On 12/5/19 5:19 PM, amp1ron at gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe some of these hosts files that Lars Brinkhoff gathered together will help:
>
> 	https://github.com/ttkzw/hosts.txt

Thanks for the pointer. I had come across those. The trouble is, for the
NCP era, there's only one host file in the collection. The rest are all
from the post-Internet transition (and thus the numbers can't be
inferred to convey a probable chronological sequence.)

And for the one from the NCP era, it's the one that only has the first
page and so it's missing a bunch of stuff. (It's not really a HOSTS.TXT
file but a prettified annotated edition with other information, and so
the file in the repository is a PDF of a scanned physical printout.)

Still even that one page adds some information. From the information
exchanged previously we had hosts 1 through 4, and then host 13. And the
likely matches for about two dozen numbers. And the fragment from the
one page in the repository adds 5 (though it's clear from the comments
that it was a recycled number), 9, 12, confirms 13, 14, 15, 16, and then
a smattering of others up to 232.

Some of the liaison names are tickling memories of long ago acquaintances!

I had thought that once upon a time there was an archive of a mid-1970s
TENEX distribution, like 1.33 or 1.34. The distribution might have
embedded a stale HOSTS.TXT file that would have been complete for the
time. But I haven't managed to find it again.

Still none of this really answers Larry's query in a satisfying way. I
imagine somewhere there's just a ledger that has the answer to the
question I thought he posed about who showed up when with what on the
ARPAnet. The collected papers of someone like Jon Postel might have
something of that nature (but a brief search doesn't reveal an archive
literally like that) but then substantial body of his work lives on in
the RFC library.