On 12/25/21 12:14 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: > Sure. Oh the compatibility of shells i meant, of course. But that > mostly colours, now that ~/.profile ensures HOSTNAME and LOGNAME > per se. No more \XY escapes here, except \e and the \[..\] that some > need (to get it column counting right, with colours) (SHTYPE=bash > and =yash). Printing vs non-printing characters are important. > You look for $0, sometimes deeper for some *_VERSION, for $OSTYPE > (which my ~/.profile sets, too). But in the end it is all a mess. Hum. I've not thought about trying to tease that information out of environment variables. Instead, I create my own environment variables and populate them from various $(uname ...) output. -- Grant. . . . unix || die