Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] OT: Nostr Protocol.
       [not found]     ` <20230504085856.4AE7D22175@orac.inputplus.co.uk>
@ 2023-05-04 10:10       ` Angel M Alganza
From: Angel M Alganza @ 2023-05-04 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: coff

On 2023-05-04 10:58, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey has been using it for a while.

Not only has he been using it for a while already, but he's also
contributing code and funding the developers of some projects (clients
and relays) with 14 BTC through fiatjaf, Nostr creator.

> I suggest any further chat about Nostr moves to coff@tuhs.org.

CC'd.

Cheers.
Ángel

* [COFF] Re: Nostr Protocol.
@ 2023-05-04 10:31         ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2023-05-04 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

Hi Ángel,

> > Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey has been using it for a while.
>
> Not only has he been using it for a while already, but he's also
> contributing code and funding the developers of some projects (clients
> and relays) with 14 BTC through fiatjaf, Nostr creator.

I knew he'd been chipping in, but not the detail.  I also understand he
contributes despite having some projects of his own which potentially
overlap.

I didn't mention it in case it made it look like this was Dorsey's
project and his stab at Twitter Mk Ⅱ.  And I'd then have to explain it
wasn't.  :-)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's following it and is also on TUHS.
Its potential for moving power away from the silos is significant.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* [COFF] Re: Nostr Protocol.
@ 2023-05-04 10:43           ` Angel M Alganza
From: Angel M Alganza @ 2023-05-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

On 2023-05-04 12:31, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> I knew he'd been chipping in, but not the detail.

I was already playing around with a few different clients when he showed
up and I started following him. A few days later he asked how to fund
the development.

> I also understand he contributes despite having some projects of his
> own which potentially overlap.

Yes, indeed. He understood very quickly that nostr is exactly what he
wanted to be the backing protocol of Twitter when they started it. Alas
the business side took control over the project and ended up being the
crap it has became.

> I didn't mention it in case it made it look like this was Dorsey's
> project and his stab at Twitter Mk Ⅱ.  And I'd then have to explain it
> wasn't.  :-)

It isn't his project, but he's very enthusiastic about it, as is another
co-founder of Twitter, who also has halted the development he was doing
on a different new distributed project and joined forces with nostr
developers. I can't remember his name, but I saw him on a video
interview a couple of days ago I can try to find back for you if you are
interested in watching it.

> I'm glad I'm not the only one who's following it and is also on TUHS.
> Its potential for moving power away from the silos is significant.

Nostr is so important that we cannot afford not to follow and, to the
extent that we can, contribute to it. :-)

Cheers.
Ángel

* [COFF] Re: Nostr Protocol.
@ 2023-05-05 10:36             ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2023-05-05 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

Hi Ángel,

> as is another co-founder of Twitter, who also has halted the
> development he was doing on a different new distributed project and
> joined forces with nostr developers.  I can't remember his name, but
> I saw him on a video interview a couple of days ago I can try to find
> back for you if you are interested in watching it.

Yes please, when it's convenient.

Talking of decentralised, I recently watched a twenty-odd minute video
of American Jack Mallers presenting to Congressmen.  He argued
discussion of the Lightning Network should frame it as public
infrastructure to transfer money without central bodies.
https://youtu.be/SH_aCW-sXUg

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* [COFF] Re: Nostr Protocol.
@ 2023-05-05 14:59               ` Angel M Alganza
From: Angel M Alganza @ 2023-05-05 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

Hi again, Ralph:

On 2023-05-05 12:36, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Yes please, when it's convenient.

Sure, here it is: Evan Henshaw Plath (Rabble) pivoted Odea to Twitter
and was the person who employed Jack Dorsey. In Twitter he was a driving
force trying to keep twitter open/decentralised.  Rabble more recently
pivoted his chat app https:/nos.social from scuttlebutt to nostr.  They
really get what Nostr is all about and how important it's going to be.

https://inv.riverside.rocks/watch?v=YhCfMn43uaA

Enjoy it.

> Talking of decentralised, I recently watched a twenty-odd minute video
> of American Jack Mallers presenting to Congressmen.  He argued
> discussion of the Lightning Network should frame it as public
> infrastructure to transfer money without central bodies.

I saw it, too.  Mallers' a cool guy, and arguably one of the best,
probably head to head with Saylor and Antonopoulous, conveying so
clearly the relevance of LN as the 2nd layer of the new censorship
resistant permission-less trust-less global monetary system.

Cheers,
Ángel