Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] On the rise and fall of Gopher
@ 2020-02-22  9:26
From:  @ 2020-02-22  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

The EFF just published an article on the rise and fall of Gopher on
their Deeplinks blog.

"Gopher: When Adversarial Interoperability Burrowed Under the
Gatekeepers' Fortresses"

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/02/gopher-when-adversarial-interoperability-burrowed-under-gatekeepers-fortresses

I thought it might be of interest to people here.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”

* [COFF] On the rise and fall of Gopher
@ 2020-02-22 10:03 ` anders
From: anders @ 2020-02-22 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Relevant to the EFF post; gopher is not dead!
	gopher://gopherproject.org/
	http://gopherproject.org/

curl and lynx natively support the gopher protocol, and sacc is a
nice client: gopher://bitreich.org/1/scm/sacc

Anders

--
Anders Damsgaard
https://adamsgaard.dk

* [COFF] On the rise and fall of Gopher
@ 2021-05-18  1:33 ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2021-05-18  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kjörling, coff

Back when the ‘answer’ was being handed to us via NeXTSTEP.  Full text indexing of all the resources!

Kind of funny how Digital and NeXT among others missed that boat.

I’ve hacked Altavista desktop search to be publicially available, but I’ve never managed to build a NeXT public search tool thing via gopher.  Speaking of, I do host a gopher site, and I do get a fair bit of traffic, although I think it’s mostly crawlers, and people looking for exploits/warez – I’d imagine people running public FTP servers see the same kind of nonsense.

gopher2_3.1 builds somewhat easily on 64bit Linux, and even works! … Although I’m not sure that anyone else needs to or really wants to join the gopherspace.

The EFF just published an article on the rise and fall of Gopher on
their Deeplinks blog.

"Gopher: When Adversarial Interoperability Burrowed Under the
Gatekeepers' Fortresses"

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/02/gopher-when-adversarial-interoperability-burrowed-under-gatekeepers-fortresses

I thought it might be of interest to people here.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”