Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] BSD 211 Help forum
@ 2020-08-07 22:52 will.senn
From: will.senn @ 2020-08-07 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, where's a good place to pester folks for help in 211BSD, v6, v7 when
it's less along the historical interest line and more along the help I
can't get this or that working line?

As an example, I'm having some challenges with the networking in 211,
right now. I finally (after on again off again attempts over 2 years)
gotten both a vanilla 211BSD p195 system to be accessible via telnet on
my local lan and am able to ping out to the internet, if I so choose,
and Andru Luvisi's 211BSD p495 doing networking as well. Thanks to
Andru's notes and Warner Losh's blog. In both cases, everything just
"works"... well most things work :). In the 195 system, I don't seem to
be able to get hostname set correctly:

Assuming NETWORKING system ...
sparks: bad value
add net default: gateway 192.168.2.1

Whereas on the 495 system, it sets fine...
Assuming NETWORKING system ...
add host sparks: gateway localhost
add net default: gateway 192.168.2.1

and on the 195 system, name resolution doesn't seem to function, whereas
it does on the 495 system.

On neither of the systems do I know how to display the routes (no
netstat and route doesn't seem to have a display mode).

Anyhow, I'm not really asking the question here (feel free to answer it
though, if you feel so inclined), but it's the kind of question that I
sit on not knowing where to ask it. I know that I often tread the
knife's edge between interesting and annoying on some of my questions in
TUHS and SIMH because of my lack of knowledge around these systems, but
I really enjoy working in them when they work and have found that
everything I learn interacting with these ancient systems significantly
enhances my skills in the modern realm at least with regards to
FreeBSD/Linux and Mac. Whereas, on the other hand, most of what I know
about the modern systems doesn't really have an easily accessible analog
in ancient unix. Take the question above, to view the route table in
freebsd - it's just netstat -r, easypeasy, what the heck it might be in
211bsd is a complete mystery. Grepping the manual turns up nothing that
I recognize, which is more often the case than I'd like to admit.

The question may be 211bsd, but the same type of questions often arise
for the research unixes as well. Any suggestions about where to throw
these kinds of vintage unix tech support questions?

Regards,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF