Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] [TUHS] The UNIX Command Language (1976)
       [not found]           ` <CAEoi9W63J0HKbWUk8wrGSkCdyzzaV-F6km-q+K-H2+kvURWWdQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-12-01 22:38             ` steffen
From: steffen @ 2020-12-01 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Cross wrote in
 <CAEoi9W63J0HKbWUk8wrGSkCdyzzaV-F6km-q+K-H2+kvURWWdQ at mail.gmail.com>:
 |On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Bakul Shah <bakul at iitbombay.org> wrote:
 |
 |> On Dec 1, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:
 |>> Never without my goto:, and if it is only to break to error
 |>> handling and/or staged destruction of local variables after
 |>> initialization failures.  Traumatic school impression, finding
 |>> yourself locked in some PASCAL if condition, and no way to go to.
 |>
 |> Pascal had goto.

Hm, i did not receive Bakul's mail.  Well i did not use it long
enough.  I think this came up in the past already, it could have
been it was a mutilated version, there definetely was no goto in
this DOS-looking UI with menu bar, with menu entries for
compilation plus, help screen etc etc.  Borland Pascal, Borland
dBASE it must have been then.  Didn't i say "maybe the teacher had
an option to turn it on" or something :)  Yeah, i do not know, but
there was no goto, definetely.

 |Pascal also had to go. (Thanks...I'm here all week.)

Ah, and all the many-page program listings in Delphi, what a waste
of paper.  Whether anyone really typed them out, not me.

 |You can even do a non-local goto!

Help.

 |> In Go you don't need goto for the sort of thing you and McVoy
 |> talked about due to its defer statement and GC. Now granted
 |> GC may be too big of a hammer for C/C++ but a future C/C++
 |> add defer gainfully as the defer pattern is pretty common.
 |> For example, mutex lock and unlock.

Terrible just as pthread_cleanup_push/pop, and that can be
entirely local-to-scope.  Terrible even if there would be
"closure"s that could be used as arguments instead of a function
pointer.  gcc supports/ed computed goto's, which would also be
nice in that respect.  And some kind of ISO _Xy() which could be
used in conditionals dependent on whether the argument is
a computed goto, a "closure" or a function pointer (or a member
function pointer).
I always hated that C++ is not ISO C plus extensions, so your
"C/C++" is not true for a long time...

--steffen

@ 2020-12-01 23:06               ` steffen
From: steffen @ 2020-12-01 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20201201223824.gBVRZ%steffen at sdaoden.eu>:
 |Dan Cross wrote in
 | <CAEoi9W63J0HKbWUk8wrGSkCdyzzaV-F6km-q+K-H2+kvURWWdQ at mail.gmail.com>:
 ||On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Bakul Shah <bakul at iitbombay.org> wrote:
 ||>
 ||> Pascal had goto.
 |
 |Hm, i did not receive Bakul's mail.  Well i did not use it long

Actually not true.

  Dec  1 21:39:30 postfix/qmgr[2670]: 4557B16056: from=<bakul at iitbombay.org>, size=4251, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
  Dec  1 21:39:30 postfix/local[9475]: 4557B16056: to=<steffen at sdaoden.eu>, relay=local, delay=0.11, delays=0.08/0/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)

 |Help.