Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Beards (was: Bearded Fellow, Ken Thompson)
       [not found]   ` <alpine.DEB.2.21.2101181547020.7448@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>
@ 2021-01-19  0:54     ` grog
From: grog @ 2021-01-19  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

[moved to COFF]

On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 15:47:48 -0500, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2021, John Cowan wrote:
>
>> (When I met my future wife I was 21, and she wanted me to grow a beard, so
>> I did.  Since then I have occasionally asked cow orkers who have complained
>> about shaving why *they* don't grow beards: the most common answer is "My
>> wife doesn't want me to."  *My* wife doesn't believe this story.)
>
> I actually had to shave for a while specifically because of my
> then-girlfriend, so... ;p I can see that.

Early on I made a decision that no woman could make me shave my
beard, and I stuck to it.  Not that the beard was more important, but
if she wanted it gone, she was looking at the wrong things.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
From: dave @ 2021-01-20  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Early on I made a decision that no woman could make me shave my beard,
> and I stuck to it.  Not that the beard was more important, but if she
> wanted it gone, she was looking at the wrong things.

Indeed.  I used to have sideburns (remember those?) in the 70s, and my
mother commented that they grew longer and longer until they joined :-)

I had a beard when I met my now-ex (nothing to do with the beard, and
we're still friends) and she never complained.  I trim it every now and
then, but it will be a cold day in hell before I lose it; my father had a
full beard (and trimmed hair) until he passed away, so I can do nothing
less.

My hair though is a different matter; apart from when I was in Senior
Toastmasters (and had to look respectable) I just let it grow, and it's
currently past my shoulders (although I do trim it above the eyes, as
otherwise I get conjunctivitis).  I tried a ponytail, but it didn't suit
me as it made me look like a wanky hipster.

-- Dave, the old-age hippie