Computer Old Farts Forum
From: grog at lemis.com (Greg 'groggy' Lehey)
Subject: [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:32:21 +1100	[thread overview]

On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 15:16:22 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:

> That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
> younger if I shaved it.

Don't believe them.

At linux.conf.au in Dunedin in 2006, Rusty Russell started a
fundraiser for the John Lions chair of computer science at UNSW.  By
way of encouragement, he stated that if there were enough
contributions, he would shave off his moustache.  A number of us
joined in (David Miller, Jeff Waugh and myself, but explicitly not Jon
Hall), and he ended up raising $10,000.  So the next day we were
shaved.  I was horrified: suddenly I looked like the old man that I
was.  The beard had greyed over the years, but it had hidden the
change in my face.  I let the beard grow again, and haven't seen my
chin since.

More at http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jan2006.php#27

Greg
--