On Thursday, 2 September 2021 at 20:03:20 -0400, Nemo Nusquam wrote: > On 2021-09-02 19:40, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: >> On Friday, 3 September 2021 at 8:10:38 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote: >>> In 1752 we switched to the Gregorian calendar, with the peasants revolting >>> (as if they weren't already) because they thought they'd lost 11 days of >>> their lives. > > My understanding for the revolt -- though I cannot think of a reference > offhand -- was that landlords charged a full month's rent for the > reduced month. Hmm. I thought it was because the tax was paid in kind, and the change meant that they were due before the harvest was done. But it seems that we're all wrong: the riots probably never happened. The normal taxes weren't affected. Before the change, the tax year ended on Lady Day (25 March), but this was changed to 5 April, still the case today. And interestingly, it seems that before the change the calendar year also changed on Lady Day, so 24 March 1750 was followed by 25 March 1751. This, too, was changed. More at https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Give-us-our-eleven-days/ and of course https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_(New_Style)_Act_1750 Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php