On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 10:23:47 -0500, Clem Cole wrote: > Moving to COFF where this probably belongs because its less UNIX and more > PL oriented. > > On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:00 AM Henry Bent wrote: > >> What language were the PL/I compilers written in? >> > I don't know about anyone else, but the VAX PL/1 front-end was bought by > DEC from Freiburghouse (??SP??) in Framingham, MA. It was written in PL/1 > on a Multics system. I can easily believe that PL/I was written in PL/I. While at Tandem, I met Don Nelson, apparently an important member of the COBOL world. He was, of course, responsible for our COBOL compiler (which, again I'm told, had quite a good reputation). Don told me that he had written it entirely in COBOL. Now that's a whole different level of difficulty. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php