Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: Rudi Blom <rudi.j.blom@gmail.com>, coff <coff@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [COFF] What is your prompt?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:25:45 +0100	[thread overview]

Warner Losh wrote in
 <CANCZdfrKFTjWnNGcZBTBfZ9e379VwjhNJK3Z8mLJR9dKLOj4SA@mail.gmail.com>:
 |On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
 |wrote:
 |> Warner Losh wrote in
 |>  <CANCZdfoP6bkJCMTD96p=iEH8YP9cq1vX9TfXDASu0egmPYGVfQ@mail.gmail.com>:

 |>|
 |>|I have symlinks to all my files. I also have special hooks that I run per
 |>|os and per host to pull in different configs when needed. Though in
 |>|recent years I've not needed it much. I used to do a lot for work like
 |>|this, but these days work envs are close to my home env, so there is
 |> little
 |>|point.
 |>|
 |>|I've been doing this since RCS days across 5 different SCMs... git makes
 |>|oopses so rare that the paranoia below seems overkill. Though for other
 |>
 |> Oh yes, i could not agree more.  I never tried bitkeeper ;), but
 |> even after eleven years of git (~/calendar (symlink) just told me
 |>   12/24   Beschließe öffentliche Projekte mit GIT zu managen (2010)
 |The first years of git were interesting times to be using it. After that
 |it's been rock solid, especially relative to all the other tools out there.

"rebase --onto" never really worked for me until it then did, but
it took long.  They reversed the output of rev-parse at some time,
i test for version 1.8 for the switch.  The garbage collect memory
window limit maybe now works .. and garbage collection took longer but
required less memory in earlier times, i always see it on the
OpenCSW.org cluster which uses git 2.4, 1.7.10.3 and what
else, but the plan to build on old one just for gc i never put in
practice; whether that today would still work, i do not know
either, no hash but SHA-1 here still, however.

I hated it bailed on breaking network connections, i do not know
whether they fixed it, i am now behind datagram based VPN, and
that "heals" that problem for me, practically always, luckily.  It
is a pain with a bad internet connection when huge downloads then
break after say hundreds of megabytes, and cannot be restarted at
the time it bailed.  On the other hand i never tried to fix it,
not even locally.

No breakage here, never.  Wow.

 | I have something similar to the .local stuff Ted does. In fact, I used to
 |use exactly that pattern. However, I've taken to doing that via symlinks
 |to the host name (so foo.host with multiple ones symlinked to the
 |master if it comes to that). That way I could keep my local changes
 |in version control... One to many client machines crashing and losing
 |stuff in my past...

Yeah.  No. :)  (But for one lost backup encryption key that almost
broke me and anyway ate some really good work i was/am prowd of.)

--steffen