On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 21:04:32 -0500, josh wrote: > Hi all, > > Given the recent (awesome) discussions about the history of *roff and TeX, I > thought I'd ask about where Brian Reid's Scribe system fits in with all this. > His thesis is available online here: > http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/scan/CMU-CS-81-100.pdf, and in my > opinion is very interesting (also cites papers on roff and TeX). Does anybody > know if Scribe was ever used on Unix systems? Does it exist at all > today? That brings back memories, not of Scribe, but of Scribble by (I think) Craig Finseth of Mark of the Unicorn, who also wrote the MINCE (MINCE Is Not Complete Emacs) editor. This would have been round 1980. Scribble was the first serious text formatting program that I used, and I quite liked it. I can't recall how it compares to more mainstream systems. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php