Computer Old Farts Forum
* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] conventions around zero padding in ip4
@ 2022-05-10 22:19 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2022-05-10 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff; +Cc: jnc

    > [the TIU] was definitely one of the first 4 TCP implementations done

There may have been some other early ones; see e.g. IEN-3 Jon Postel "Meeting
Notes 15 August 1977". I was thinking of the TCP's which showed up for the
first TCP Bakeoff, on 27 January, 1979.

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > Any idea when the TENEX implementation was made?
    > These files seem to be from 1982:

1982? That's almost up to Linux time, in early internet time! :-) It's like
'dog years'; a year back then was an aeon! OK, to start with, a few
'definitions':

TCP 2 - the earliest version that was really implemented much; no separate IP
	layer
TCP 2.5 - basically the same as TCP 2 (packet formats, algorithms), but with
	things re-labelled into 'TCP' and 'IP'
TCP 3 - variable length addresses (later discarded, sadly)

(The archaeology in the IENs is a little complicated, because meeting notes
aren't in temporal order, IEN-number-wise. E.g. the notes for the meeting on
2-4 August 1978 (the first one I went to, BTW) are IEN-53, which came out on
21-Aug-78; but the notes for the 14-15 July 1977 meeting are IEN-65, which came out
on 5-Aug-78.)

Anyway, about the first details about the TENEX TCP implementation (done by
Bill Pluumer, whom we have now sadly lost) I could find are in IEN-67
("Meeting Notes - 30 & 31 January 1978"):

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien67.pdf

where he reports that an implementation of TCP-2 (in the OS, not in a user
process, as an early version was). In IEN-53 ("Meeting Notes - 2,3&4 August
1978"):

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien53.pdf

Action Items 6 and 7 refer to 6) the installation of presumably somewhat
working TCP 2.5's at SRI, BBN and SRI, and 7) the installation of test
version of TCP 4 at BBN.

Finally, IEN-57:

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien57.pdf

by Bill Plummer, "Provisional TCP Development Plan" (for TENEX/TOPS-20 TCP)
gives sime interesting details.

	Noel

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] conventions around zero padding in ip4
@ 2022-05-11  5:30 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-05-11  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: coff

Noel Chiappa wrote:
> > Any idea when the TENEX implementation was made?
>
> Anyway, about the first details about the TENEX TCP implementation
> (done by Bill Pluumer, whom we have now sadly lost) I could find are
> in IEN-67 ("Meeting Notes - 30 & 31 January 1978"):
>
>   https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien67.pdf

Thanks!  I found this from "19SEP76" which must have been a very
early version.

https://elists.isoc.org/pipermail/internet-history/2020-March/005912.html

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] conventions around zero padding in ip4
       [not found] <20220509161416.EDB2F18C073@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
@ 2022-05-10  5:23 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-05-10  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: coff