[Redirecting to COFF] On Friday, 1 July 2022 at 16:05:30 +0300, Ori Idan wrote: > On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 7:38 PM Paul Winalski > wrote: > >> >> o why a memory access violation is reported as "segmentation fault" or >> "bus error", and the difference between the two >> >> o why CTRL/D is used to end a shell command line session > > I am not sure I know that, I'd be happy to know. It's the ASCII control character EOT (end of transmission). >> o why CTRL/S and CTRL/Q are used for flow control in a shell command >> line session >> > Also would be happy to know. Also ASCII control characters: XON (^S) and XOFF (^Q). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C0_and_C1_control_codes#Device_control tells me: DC1 and DC3 (known also as XON and XOFF respectively in this usage) originated as the "start and stop remote paper-tape-reader" functions in ASCII Telex networks. This teleprinter usage became the de facto standard for software flow control.[13] Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php