Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Tomasz Rola <rtomek@ceti.pl>
To: Computer Old Farts Forum <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: [COFF] Re: Systemd Creator Lands At Microsoft
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 02:29:07 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 12:26:23PM +0200, Michael Cardell Widerkrantz wrote:
> Tomasz Rola <rtomek@ceti.pl>, 2022-07-08 09:40 (+0200):
>
> > Well, what the title says. Some folks here wandered what the future
> > may be. I suppose destroying Linux, or making it irrelevant.
>
> Microsoft of today is really not the Microsoft of the 1990s. There are a
> lot of people at MSFT working on Linux in different forms.

If you know this first hand, then great. I admit, after 1995 I have
only used anything MS about few times a year or so. The experience was
always a bit miserable - my index finger got stiff from constant
clicking, my mouse-arm got tired from precision moves etc. You may
thing I am exagerrating, in such case try moving your finger up and
down for an hour - I was just trying to port my Linux workflow under
Windows, and I am sure if I really had to work under Windows, I would
have invented some shortcuts to save my finger. But I digress.

You wrote, MS is not the same as in 1990. I think, sure, thirty years
later, they would not be the same. But you seem to imply that "so
old-thinking guys are out of the doors already". This might
be. However, I am more likely to believe that "old thinking guys" made
sure to hire new guys who would be able to get the torch from their
cold hands and carry on. On the surface, a business is all new ("hey
we hire new people every day"). Under the surface, a business is
almost the same ("why change something that works so well").

> > What would happened, if systemd development went in two ways, one
> > gnu-licenced and the other commercial?
>
> I suppose more distributions would look at the alternatives like OpenRC
> or S6.

Maybe. I am still trying to evaluate various alternatives to Debian
and I am not so sure. Debian was so bloody good (for me) that finding
alternative is hard (especially that I expect to do something with
computer at the same time).

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola