Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Tomasz Rola <rtomek@ceti.pl>
To: coff@tuhs.org
Subject: [COFF] Re: Systemd Creator Lands At Microsoft
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 10:35:53 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jul 09, 2022 at 03:52:30AM +0200, Angel M Alganza wrote:
> Hello, Tomasz,

[...]
> 	Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd that allows
> 	users to reclaim control over their system by avoiding
> 	unnecessary entanglements and ensuring Init Freedom.

Thank you. I have Devuan on a (very short) list. Right now I am
testing a systemd based Debian derivative, to see what I will be
missing. Testing takes time etc. I am not very impressed, so
far. During last months, nothing I would like to have so much that I
would go with systemd. It just behaves predictably, which is a lot,
but not really lot. After all, it is still a Linux.

However, performance seems to be worse. I have a really old (like,
decade) desktop with really antique Debian (pre-systemd) and it seems
to behave faster than a newish (bought from second hand) laptop with
integrated CPU/GPU and Parrot installed on it. The clocks - I always
downclock as a rule. So old Debian is clocked @800MHz and Parrot
@1100MHz. Hence Parrot really could do a bit more, but nope. Feels
sluggish, but I might be making this up. After all, I do not like the
whole idea of systemd and stuff. Well, a small difference - Debian
runs on four cores, and Parrot cannot. On four cores it overheats and
shuts down whenever I try to use it - be it computing control sums or
compiling. In order to be any usable at all I have to boot it with
maxcpus=1. This probably tells more about quality of laptop than
Parrot. But I will see more when I install something else on it.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **